How do you believe divine love is different and better than the other types of l

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

How do you believe divine love is different and better than the other types of love?

Parental love being tender and endearing; romantic love, sensual and attractive; friendship love, reciprocal. Jesus modeled sacrificial and humble love by washing the feet of His disciples. How is divine love different and better than the other types of love?  Thank you for answering.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8877078_f260.jpg

2. Ceegen profile image69
    Ceegenposted 10 years ago

Because most people with power or positions of authority demand things.

Jesus is more like,
         "Yes, I told you that if you sin you're going to die, but I loved you enough to tell you the truth. Anyone else would lie to you, saying that breaking the rules is okay and that there will be no punishment for it. I'm not asking a whole lot, just love me back. Is that so hard? I want to show you how awesome eternity is going to be, just trust me. As a token of my gratitude, and a symbol of how much I really appreciate my creations... I washed their feet, I healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, warned people not to be violent, try being nice to people who do evil to you instead of returning the favor, and even died forgiving the people who killed me. What more do you want?
        I can't make this decision for you, or it wouldn't be your choice to serve me. If I were a tyrant, I would force you to serve me, but I'm not. All I'm saying is that not serving me leads to death, not because I'm going to kill you, but because you're going to kill yourself. You can't live apart from me. I'm God, and I give life to all freely, but by no other way is your life truly sustained. Separation from me will be your undoing, because I am the only one who truly cares about you, because I created you.
         Just give it a try, remembering to realize that if you had to judge yourself by my perfect standard, that you wouldn't make the cut. Is saying that you're not perfect too hard to do? Is it too hard to think that I could be perfect, because you're not? All I'm asking is to do your best to serve and love me, rather than anything else. I know what is best for you."

Most people don't see that, and only see a list of rules to follow. But that's the kind of love everyone needs, and you can't find in this fallen, physical world.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ceegen, what a beautiful answer here and so perfectly describes His Divine Love, a love like no other indeed. My hope is that all will know of such love in their lifetime and then for an eternity.  God bless you.  In His Love, Faith Reaper

2. Ceegen profile image69
      Ceegenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello again Faith. Thanks and God bless!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hello again Ceegen.  Oh, I appreciate you taking the time to answer here!  God bless you too.  In His Love, Faith Reaper

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

hmmmm . . . great question. I began an answer and reached the end of allowed space. I stopped copy / pasting to a Word document for later. With time hopefully a hub smile answering this question.

For now an answer of ease is divine relates to coming from a form of deity - God(s) or Goddess(s). Love is the tough part to define and explore. The obvious is it is a supernatural form unknown to knowledge of mankind; experiential or reason. Surreal? I dun'no . . .

Hi tsmog, I know, I do wish they allowed more space in questions and in responses to questions!  Thank you for answering, and I am thrilled you are thinking of writing a hub on this question!  Awesome.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Faith, I'm going to be Baptized on Sunday.  So right now I have a different outlook than I did say a year ago. 

At the end of 2012, I was paralyzed in a hospital bed for 8 days.  My bed mate was a little obnoxious.  While laying there, I had a lot of time to reflect about my family and children whom I missed terribly.  My bed mate said I was always looking down.  Literally, looking to the floor.  She sent a minister from the hospital to pray with me.  When the minister approached my bedside, I was a mess.  The last thing I wanted was company because as you can imagine being paralyzed there is no time to primp yourself.

The minister asked if there was anything I'd like to pray for.  I said yes.  I'd like to tell the Lord how grateful I am for the life he has given me, and for the Bible verse of Isaiah 46:4.  I have made you, I will carry you, I will sustain you, and I will rescue you.

Just as I did during this hospitalization, people tend to look down.  But we should always be looking up.  Jesus loves us forever and always.  No matter what, we have forgiveness and guidance through Him when everyone else forsakes us.  His love is a love given to us through grace.  It can never be taken away.

Oh, how wonderful precious heart! Yes, His love is a free gift of grace and there is nothing we can do to earn it.  I praise Him you know of His divine love, even through your terrible trial.  You called out to Him and He heard your cry. (((HUGS)))

5. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

Hi Faith, what a challenging question!
    I've told God many times, 'I don't understand the type of love You have for me because I don't really FEEL it.'  The difference is that I just KNOW it.
    It is extremely difficult during hard times to actually believe God loves us. 
    This week my family doctor, whom I have seen for many years, died of cancer.  He was only 61...he was paralyzed from the waist down; he had just left his practice last year to accept a job in Vermont...he and his family were starting a new life...he was so excited...and I missed him when he left.
    But shortly after he took the new job is when he found out he had cancer.
    I have had him on my prayer list all this time. He had shared with me that his father was a prisoner in Aushwitz concentration camp and survived...I asked if he ever visited the camp, and he said, 'not yet, but I plan to do that.'

And here he is...gone forever...so young with not having achieved things he planned to do with his life.  And his father, who went through hell in a concentration camp is still alive!  God saved him1

Now, it is easy to say, "Well, God, you did not answer my prayer!"
    But yes, God did!  He chose to take him to Heaven instead of healing him.  THAT was his answer. 

This in no way means God does not love...the difference is, that all the loves you mention above are here on earth ...Divine love is our faith and KNOWING he loves us, and he USES His creation (US) to minister His love to others, all the time, but especially during hard times.

YOU have shared wonderful stories of miracles in your own life here on Hub Pages...this is how Divine love works...His Spirit IN US.  You have helped me in the past by your prayers for me and God hears them all...from everyone.

I hope I make some sense here.  I am running out of characters, so I have to close...Just this morning on my walk I said to God...I must look down at the ground on my walks... I must stand tall and Look straight ahead or UP, NOT DOWN...then I just read Crafty to the core's response about looking up instead of down...coincidence?  THIS is another example of Divine Love also...occurring to many through coincidences...we just have to be aware.

Thank you for another great question, and God bless you, Faith smile  Sparklea

Hi sweet friend, I am so sorry about your family doctor. Yes, it is hard to understand such a love as His divine love, as our little brains can hardly fathom or comprehend it. Yes, let us look up and that is wonderful about Crafty sharing too! Hugs

6. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I think most people over-complicate the definition of "love."

To me, there are two kinds of love:
    1) Divine love.
    2) Selfish love.

And selfish love is not really love. Simple. So, there is really only one kind of love -- divine love. Okay, let's look at the details a little more closely.

Parental love can be divine love, especially when it is unconditional and generous. When a parent keeps a tally, though, then their feelings of love are no longer unconditional; they become selfish.

Romantic love can be divine love, too, but too frequently it descends into things like lust. The worst kind of "romantic love" is where both spouses say that they will meet each other halfway -- they'll take 50% responsibility to "share" in the "burdens." Divine love would take 100% responsibility. To heck with 50%!

Friendship love? Reciprocal? Same problem as the example above of meeting each other halfway. Divine love is never reciprocal; it remains infinite and abundantly generous. That's a true friend, like Christ.

Your example of sacrificial and humble love sounds exactly like divine love.

If you take 100% responsibility for everything that others do to you, what happens? Well, the first thing that happens is that you eliminate any possibility of ever being a victim! How cool is that?

Second, by taking 100% responsibility, turning the other cheek becomes effortless. Now, do you start to see what turning the other cheek really means? This is pure empowerment.

Third, by taking 100% responsibility, you mirror the attitude and actions of God. And isn't this what He would have us do? Isn't this another way of saying, being at-one with God, or walking with God?

I go into this in a little more detail in my book, "The Art of Forgiveness."

Rod Martin, Jr.
    author of
    "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom: God's Reason for Noah's Flood"

Hi lone77star, Thank you for leaving a most interesting answer here. That is a good point about selfishness. Your book sounds interesting as well. Blessings

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like how you explained love. A question I have always pondered . . . if we define love with any definition, then does it not then become conditional?

7. SatendraSaini profile image44
    SatendraSainiposted 10 years ago

Actually people always says that they love GOD and Nature naturally without any self benefit. But I think most of them pray of God because of some specific reason like money, or wealth. While other love like love of mom towards her child is free of all bounds. This is the true love.

Hello SatendraSaini, Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I am sure there are some who do such, but I am speaking of true divine love.  A mother who loves as you describe is true love indeed. How is true divine love more than all other loves?

8. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

Divine love is more committed. Jesus died for us and if we accept him in our life, he is with us through thick or thin, down to the very end. Also, you get the benefit of divine intervention. If you tell a friend your problems, you get comfort. But when you tell your problems to Jesus, something happens and circumstances can change through divine, supernatural intervention. You are actually calling on the highest power when you call on Jesus. This, I truly believe.

Hi grand old lady, Yes, there is nothing like experiencing such supernatural divine love in one's life.  I cannot even put it into words as it is so hard to imagine such a powerful love and He is the only one able to fill that empty hole in us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)