jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How would you know if someone is a false friend?

1. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

How would you know if someone is a  false friend?

Sometimes certain people can pretend to be friends with false smiles yet deep down they are just not true. What would you look for in the person who plays the false friend?

2. Bk42author profile image80
    Bk42authorposted 4 years ago

Eventually their actions give them away but the first thing I notice about a person is how they treat their other friends. If a person if gossiping and talking negatively about another person who is supposed to be a friend then chances are they will do the same to me.

1. DDE profile image24
      DDEposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing your helpful answer.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Each of us defines what it means to be "good friend".
    Only the individual involved can surmise if the person they're associating with is a "true friend" in their book.
    Generally speaking one expects their friend to take an interest in their life. Lend you their ears or shoulders to cry on when things aren't great, be the first to congratulate or offer ideas to celebrate your victories and vice versa. A true friend has your best interest at heart and wants only the best for you.
    A false friend on the other hand may not ever call you unless (they) need or want something. If you don't initiate contact you often will not hear from them. Instead of dispelling rumors about you they will feed the rumors or look for ways to tear you down instead of building you up. A false friend may covet your spouse or your life in general.
    They're with you for as long as you can benefit them. You're always the giver and they're always the taker. It's a one sided friendship.

1. DDE profile image24

Great answer. Thank you

4. lisavanvorst profile image78
    lisavanvorstposted 4 years ago

If you tell the friend something in confidence and he or she blabs about it. When you need that friend the most such as in hard times and he or she is not there for you. When that person only is your friend to get something out of the friendship such as money, free dinner invites, free drinks etc. Sure we want to treat our friends but it would be nice if he or she reciprocates.

1. DDE profile image24

Thank you I have come across people who have enjoyed having free dinners at our place

5. Josh Makaveli profile image35
    Josh Makaveliposted 4 years ago

when a friend always contact you only in need of something or there is a purpose behind that. When a friend only uses you for his/her own purpose then he/she is a false friend

1. DDE profile image24

Thank you and I have noticed such people.

working