Emotionally unavailable men: Is it really a case of (timing) and them having not

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Emotionally unavailable men: Is it really a case of (timing) and them having not met “the one”?

George Clooney was known for stating he would never remarry. Apparently he has changed his mind. He was considered the king of “serial monogamy” dating one woman at a time for periods of two years or longer.  At age 52 George has recently become engaged to 36 year old British attorney Amal Alamuddin after (less than six months) of dating. Is the label “emotionally unavailable” a (sour grapes) term hurled by those who simply did not make the grade?
    Clearly there is a difference between a man being unavailable to most women versus all women. Is it possible these men simply chose not to settle?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8916002_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 9 years ago

I think Clooney was emotionally unavailable until now, which is why he dated actresses who were more fluff than stuff. (Sorry, ladies) However, he isn't getting any younger and I feel that this woman speaks to him in a way the others could not even begin to... Amal is a highly intelligent woman who is all about "social justice." Sort of like Clooney. She strikes me as being rather eclectic and independent. My guess is that she is an extension of how Clooney views his world. Perhaps she "completes" him. (Lol) My guess is that she knocked his socks off without even trying.
    At any rate, I am glad for them. May they be happily married for the long haul.

dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can actually relate to George because I too swore I'd never remarry again. However I don't believe I dated fluff women or avoided compatible women. I had a 5 and 7 year relationship. However when you meet "the one" you break your own rules! LOL!

3. profile image31
    ASKSADIEposted 9 years ago

Excellent question that I deal with in my online practice (Liveperson) every day. I take exception to many of my colleagues who love psychobabble and "diagnosing" certain life choices as a "problem." The late legendary actress Katherine Hepburn once said she wouldn't marry (again) because she didn't want to have to make the choice between going on stage and staying home with a sick child. She didn't think it was fair.

I have found basically two kinds of men and women who fall adapt the single life: The first have issues. I refer to them in my columns as "Mystery Guests." They "drop in" to your life, are generally highly attentive; then once things get a little serious, they roar off.

But another wonderful group are those who are simply wise. It's a wise person who knows what he or she may not do well. Marriage is one of those things. Many are in passion with their work and know they can't offer the 100 percent we think of as marriage. Others realize that temperamentally they're not suited to permanent coupling.

Not everyone is destined to take this journey two by two.

So, I'd say, look at the behavior, present and past. Also, believe a man when he tells you he's not into marriage. Men may not always know what they want, but they usually know what they don't.

Warmly, Marnie Macauley MS. You can reach me on Liveperson.

dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Not everyone is destined to take this journey two by two." Your statement is both profound and true! Life is personal journey and not a "one size fits all" experience. No one should feel obligated to get married. Know what makes (you) happy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)