jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Could the question "how do you handle conflict" be a deal breaker in deciding ye

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 21 months ago

Could the question "how do you handle conflict" be a deal breaker in deciding yes or no?

Could this be a useful question to ask first up when dating?

2. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 21 months ago

No, don't ask this on your first date. Actually, if you are anything like me, you learn a lot by simple observations and gentle conversation on the first date. Keep the intuition open, not the questioning mind.

It is a great question for interviews though, and yes, it can sometimes tell you a lot about the individual, and influence the decisions made.

Are you looking for a date, Three Keys? Ha ha. Much Love.

threekeysposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Cheeky.....

I think its a important question to ask because unfortunately or fortunately how each partner handles upsets and differences is a major thing. Love can be strong but not that strong. Earlier on is better than too late. Yes?

2. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 21 months agoin reply to this

Well then bring it in, in a wise way. Still, it feels like 'testing out the waters.' If I got as far as a serious date with you, then it means I'm interested, and it would feel a bit distant me asking me this question. Still, each to his own really.

3. CathyF profile image59
    CathyFposted 21 months ago

The real question is whether you are dating for marriage or dating for fun. If you want to have your dating relationship turn into a marriage, then there's nothing wrong with asking ANY question, including this one on the first date. But, if you're just looking for fun, keep these awkwardly intimate questions to yourself until it seems like your partner might be "the one".

Of course, even a "willing to marry" guy or girl might be scared off by asking all the marriage-type questions on the first date, so play the date "by ear" and talk about what's important as it seems appropriate. NEVER pull out a questionnaire and start interrogating your surprised date in a restaurant. If the two of you, as a couple, are the type to do the questionnaire thing, then discuss a time and place to work through one.

My husband and I covered pretty much everything that was important to us in a relationship in the week or so leading up to us officially becoming a couple and we still keep discussing these things now.

threekeysposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I agree..."no clipboard and questionairre"! I'd run a mile, too!

It sounds as if  you have a balanced loving relationship Cathy. Do you find you both can apologize to another? Like you value your relationship more than your personalities?

working