jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you feel to reassess your relationship evety 5 years makes you work harder fo

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 21 months ago

Do you feel to reassess your relationship evety 5 years makes you work harder for your relationship?

So that you also keep mindful of being the better version of yourself for your partner to enjoy. Or would the insecurity of knowing you could lose your partner your comfortable old shoe make you not bother as you think "why in the heck should I bother?"

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 21 months ago

If I understand your question, you're asking about reassessing your relationship every 5 years. If that's your question then it's a question from a person who has never been in a good relationship. The concept of reassessing every 5 years suggests that your relationship is static for 5 years at a time. A good relationship is more like an ocean, always moving and changing as the people move and change. The relationship will also ebb and flow like an ocean and these are the places where couples will discover how committed they are to each other.
    If you are in a relationship that is static for years at a time then I would suggest not waiting for your 5 year interval. I would just move on now.

1. threekeys profile image80
      threekeysposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Yup...relationships...not so easy...when do you persevere and when is it enough? How long is the trough meant to be for? Ebb and flow is  typical...you got lucky cissy to be with one...easier and comforting...very lucky cissy

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 21 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13033022_f260.jpg

I suspect it would depend on the couple and their marriage.
    My guess some would be glad to know the marriage will dissolve after 5 years unless they decide to renew.
    The initial hurdle that keeps many folks from filing for divorce is having to go through the legal process of hiring attorneys, planning, and executing the separation of assets, breaking the news to family and friends....etc
    If there was a situation similar to rental lease where the couple could simply opt out or choose not to renew with a pre-arranged settlement that was signed prior to the marriage there would probably be more divorces. The easier it is to walk away the more tempting it is to do.
    I suppose knowing one is in a renewal year might give one person more power in the relationship if their mate feared being divorced.
    Having said that I wouldn't want someone to stay with me simply because it was too "inconvenient" or expensive to go through the divorce process. I'd be in favor of 5 year renewal option.
    In fact it might lead to more people getting married because they know there is a 5 year no-fault opt out clause renewal option.
    The bottom line is it only takes one person to want out of a marriage to end it. Unhappily married people tend to file for divorce or cheat.

working