What makes you blow steam out of your ears?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

What makes you blow steam out of your ears?

What topic or action makes you the angriest?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13157271_f260.jpg

2. WordCrafter09 profile image65
    WordCrafter09posted 7 years ago

I don't tend to be an ear-steamer.  I tend more to be a slow-boiler and aim to turn the burner down before ear-steaming starts to happen.  That can mean taking any number of steps, depending on the situation.

Having said that, there is something that tends to be a long-running , potential ear-steamer for me; and that it is either when anyone tries to define me to my face or behind my back or in their own mind

I'm fair and respectful and objective about/to other people.  (That doesn't mean blindly trusting every stranger to the point where I'd put my own safety at risk by not using good judgment and taking some sensible steps.  I'm talking about just general approach to people in day-to-day life and relationships.)  Something I value in myself is my ability/willingness to step outside myself and my emotions and refrain from forming thinking/conclusions without first checking to make sure that I'm not just relying on what's inside my own head and am, instead, doing the very reasonable thing of "assessing" what's there by comparing it to very reliable and objective "outside sources" (in this case, "outside-my-head sources").

None of these behaviors/traits are particularly unique.  They're a choice that most people can make if they have any interest at all in truth/accuracy about the world beyond one's own mind, small world, and relationships.  Contrary to the apparently popular belief that mothers (among whom I count myself) cannot be objective because of their love for their children, I've found that it is precisely my intense love for my children that made me even more committed than ever to be able to offer them the most objective view/perspective so that, in my hopes that each would think for him/her-self he/should would be adequately well informed/equipped beyond just "my mother loves me" and on to "my mother may not have all the answers, but what she presents matches the rest of the world and makes sense".

So my "thing" about being defined is not just about an individual or a few who try to do that, but about anyone/anything (including media, schools, kids' friends, etc.) that potentially undermines (essentially attacks) the objective, reasonable, framework that I've always hoped my children would use as their guide in thinking for themselves.

I don't presume to define other people by thinking I know what's in their head.  I certainly don't define other people to/for their kids.  Poisonous thinking harms families that otherwise wouldn't be.

3. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Imagine you are an evangelical Christian, repeatedly told by elites and authority figures that your faith is the source of un-American injustices -- but that to suggest Islamic terrorism might have some relationship to Islam is rank bigotry.
    Source: http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/j … wyOCVAv.99

1. profile image0
      threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can understand that,

4. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

I don't think I "let off steam" as often as I should.

I am a person who is" slow to boil" and "let of steam". It takes a lot for me to get upset except when I learn of someone who is vulnerable or in a vulnerable situation and cannot stop it or move away from it. With being taken advantage on top of that. I  then feel inwardly fiercely protective of this person  or situation even though I may not personally know the person or the situation.

To me WordCrafter09 I cannot help but wonder if you are not a Judge either literally or metaphorically? Because to me you would make an excellent Judge.

INMHO your children a very lucky to have you!

1. WordCrafter09 profile image65
      WordCrafter09posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you (about the kids); I'm no  judge - not even someone who allows myself to judge other people.  I do, though, aim to think like a judge, a scientist, and/or a reporter (am a stickler for accuracy/care w/ conclusions and words.   smile

5. chuckandus6 profile image78
    chuckandus6posted 7 years ago

When the car breaks down, flat tires and Traffic

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)