Does Internet dating work?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (53 posts)
  1. dotty1 profile image58
    dotty1posted 13 years ago

Hi all.... have any of you used online dating sites? are there good honest SINGLE men on them really????

<snipped link - do not promote your hubs in the forums>

1. klk219 profile image61
      klk219posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes!

2. profile image0
      Bubblez03posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes they do. You are so focused on one person that you don't think about others.  People on dating sites are looking for one thing: a relationship. So there aren't a barrage of mind games being played because you and the one your seeing are seeing each other to be in a relationship.
      I say go for it, its actually a lot of fun! smile

3. profile image0
      Richard Stephenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My brother-in-law met his wife on an online dating site and they have been happily married for several years now.  My impression is that these sites work best for people who have been around the block a few times, are more settled down and know what they are looking for in a partner.  I think they have more realistic expectations and hopes than the younger crowd.  Just my 2 cents...

4. jenniferlynn profile image59
      jenniferlynnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They absolutely can work. You just have to be smart about it. Keep an eye open for red flags but also keep an open mind for what may come your way.

My main bit of advice is to meet relatively soon after getting to the phone stage. Don't talk for months and months because it tends to build up an idea of the person and in a lot of cases you may end up disappointed.

Use your common sense, follow your gut, and try not to overlook major red flags.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, and get up to date pictures ASAP

5. oliviagerner profile image53
      oliviagernerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yah online dating works lot for singles in search of partner. Many people go for online dating because it mainly concern for relationships. So, don't worry go and meet your partner in online dating. smile

6. sathish54 profile image53
      sathish54posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hai

7. profile image52
      Reddsgirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Online dating can work. In December, I will be marrying a man I met online. We "clicked"  right away, and after getting to know each other, we became engaged. This occurred over a period of time, following numerous messages, phone calls, letters, and meetings. I ended up moving to be near him....now we will be married soon.

I am all for internet dating.....

8. lifeinprime profile image67
      lifeinprimeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it really does!  I  met my girlfriend this way.  Just know what you're looking for and sign up for some great sites.  Be honest, but don't reveal too much information. Be safe, but have fun!

2. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

My boyfriend and I met on the internet a little over a year ago. We met in person about a month after meeting and have since been together for a year and a week. Have moved to Arizona together, moved back to Georgia, Traveled back and forth between families, been to 2 weddings, and one birth together. So yes internet dating does work though I must say it isn't always the dating sites that you meet that someone special. Terry and I met on a social networking site similar to Facebook and Myspace.

3. Mom Kat profile image75
    Mom Katposted 13 years ago

My fiance and I met online.  We've been together 4 years, engaged for 2 & we have a child together.

Yes, online dating can & does work (you just have to be careful)

4. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I've never used a dating site, so I can't speak for those. However, I did meet my husband online. It's probably the best way we could have ever met, because the first six months of our relationship were devoted entirely to talking and getting to know each other better since that was the only way we could spend time together. The first time I met him in person was when he moved in with me...and yes, we knew each other well enough to take that step with confidence...and neither of us have ever regretted it or looked back.

I don't know if having someone actively looking for a relationship such as on a dating site would really be a plus...though just guessing here, since I haven't done it. At the time my husband and I met, neither of us were looking and were actually just online to kill time in a friendly poker game. The result is that we were both very upfront and honest about who we were and didn't feel the need to pretend to try to make ourselves look better.

5. fucsia profile image61
    fucsiaposted 13 years ago

Few years ago I attended at Internet dating and I met Some interesting menu. But it is very easy to see just what you want to see, create illusions ..

6. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I met my husband online.  We've been married over 3 yrs.

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

..met my ex online...husband no. 5....think i'll check out 'oceansofpeople' just for fun......

8. Webskitzo profile image60
    Webskitzoposted 13 years ago

Every person i know who have met someone online are stll with that person...what does that say about meeting people online?

9. Jnich2 profile image60
    Jnich2posted 13 years ago

My friend wrote a hub about it. hxxp://hubpages.com/hub/Online-Datingtips101 . He has done a lot of online dating. There are issues with it just like with regular dating.

10. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I met my husband online, but it wasn't a dating site... just a regular forum. roll OH NO!!! roll

1. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmmmm

11. profile image0
    PoeticPiscesposted 13 years ago

OH yes I do feel it does work. The man I am with, met on a dating site. However, I had to experience alot of "horrible" dates before he and I found one another. Not saying all men were bad, but I was overwhelmed by things I had never experienced before...the language, pictures I was sent, comments, it was overwhelming! lol But just like with anything, you take the bitter with the sweet. And hopefully you will find your perfect match! But be cautious also....a few tips...NEVER let them meet at your place. Meet at a public place for your first date. MAKE sure they send a recent pic, not one dated from 10 years ago. GOOGLE them, see if there is anything out there about them that is negative. Finally....if there is a comment section, where other people write remarks about them, might give you some insight on that person. Good luck and always be careful!

12. jeri741 profile image60
    jeri741posted 13 years ago

I date online. I have met some wonderful men and some that were not so wonderful. You do have to be catreful and don't wonder out of your comfort zone.Try to always meet in a public place. And be open minded..try meeting men you wouldn't normally meet at the market or laundrymat..lol

13. h.a.borcich profile image58
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

I met my hubby online and we have been happily maried almost 4 years now smile

14. SpiritLeo profile image64
    SpiritLeoposted 13 years ago

I do not have personal experience in this but my cousins met their husbands on-line and they are happily married now.smile

15. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I've been trying to date a few hubbers but they are all scared of me. roll

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha how could anyone be scared of such a sweet little pussycat smileI'd date you if I were a bloke.

16. HonestlyHonest74 profile image60
    HonestlyHonest74posted 13 years ago

Of course internet dating works...Its just another forum to get introduced to people...

17. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I've never done online dating, but I did meet my husband on line, actually I found him on e-Bay... LOL! He was selling something I lost the bid on and I contacted him to see if he could get me another, one conversation lead to another and the rest is history.

But some of my girlfriends who have used online dating have had less than stellar results. I'm surprised by all the positive responses I've read here. Good for you guys!

18. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I met a few Trolls and others who have had their Links Snipped unceremoniously big_smile

1. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  PD you are ...

Wow!  Actually  I have never known any  online relaionship to have worked out well ... ... I need to change my views now!

1. gideony1 profile image59
        gideony1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sofs,if i were to suggest for you,i will say you have to be plain enough for it to work for  you,i am still searching but i know hat i must find.thanks.gideony1@yahoo.com

19. Arlecchino profile image60
    Arlecchinoposted 13 years ago

Internet dating can work absolutely same as a regular dating. A lot of my friends met each other online. You can use a lot of online communicators such as skype, msn, yahoo messengers to have capability not only chatting but also see a person.  So don't be confused wink

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does giving personal info over the net work? Sometimes people CAN lie. People can invent whole people that don't exist, w/ all the bells and whistles needed to convince even experts.

20. lichin profile image60
    lichinposted 13 years ago

I think looking for internet dating is not a good thing, because many young people in Indonesia who were deceived acquaintance in fb, yes maybe we should be more careful with someone who we know

1. JaeScribble profile image60
      JaeScribbleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think its possible to meet some nice people, but in my experience some claim to be what there not, and now and days there's a lot of weirdo's and game players in it for the chase, but I have heard some success stories hear and there. Mostly older people capable of looking beyond the physical and falling in love with personality traits that suit them.

21. profile image53
    masterartsposted 13 years ago

In my opinion it does work but there are more chances of you getting ditched ! It depends on how fast you grasp the person whom your dating.

1. profile image51
      kelvin emmanuelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thats true pal...

22. Momma Mia profile image63
    Momma Miaposted 13 years ago

Online dating can work...however it could take years of searching and many headaches along the way.   much like normal dating.  It is a great way to meet friends as well.    If one will keep the idea that friends is all you expect.....then when and if the real deal comes along......you already have good friends ....even with your new love.
              Good luck to all 
                        Mia

23. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

Online dating...please, why not date a penpal from the joint. lol lol lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Luv,

Maybe you should see the good in people, before rushing to judgment. wink tongue (((Hugs))) lol

1. luvpassion profile image62
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You miss my point Mr. Cagsil...online you don't know it's people could be a virtual person could be an alien...could be a monkey it's not real life. wink

24. profile image53
    marcbposted 13 years ago

in my experience works great!!
    I've been using Flirtmaps for some months: it's a mobile app that allows to find smart people from your area and maybe meet them (if you want).
    it helped me very much... actually, I' so shy...
    cheers!

1. profile image51
      kelvin emmanuelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

is there any such application could work in my own country? i mean Nigeria.....

25. Mikeydoes profile image45
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

No and yes

No, because my uncle got married to someone he met on a dating site, and they got divorced.

Yes, because he went back to the site and is now happily married.

Just like if you find your love out somewhere, it just comes down to you being happy with your lover. If you aren't it won't work.

26. profile image51
    kelvin emmanuelposted 13 years ago

there are no honest guys and girls out there on online dating sites,they just do it for their own pleasure and if you are not careful you might fall a victim.......

27. dmanet profile image60
    dmanetposted 13 years ago

The overwhelming amount of guys using it as their platform to pick up chicks to do the same thing they do at bars far outweighs that of those looking for something substantial

28. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

One of my best Friends met her husband online....

29. Momma Mia profile image63
    Momma Miaposted 13 years ago

Everything is all about what you put into it.  Your healthcare, your childrens upbringing, your car, home, vacations,ect.  Your relationships with most are going to reflect how much quality time one has put in.   
       I dated my neighbors son for 10 years...married an lasted 4 years.  Ofcourse life changes......as do the varied ways of meeting people.
       Good luck to you all that are looking for love and willing to do your homework to find the right one!!

30. ineta2007 profile image59
    ineta2007posted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/He-is-just-not-into-you
    He is just not into you after....online dating became reality

31. ineta2007 profile image59
    ineta2007posted 13 years ago

actually just had to experience one for my psycology degree) was very intresting and sad results)
    some movies like "How to lose guy in 10 day" are realy funny but in reality its diffrent!! much diffrent and actually one more time was checked how to make out of a normal date just a hell) sometimes we all forgeting something and do something what we regret later but ...thats life)do u know this feeling when after a date you think "if i could say that instead of this...etc"))

32. rwedating profile image60
    rwedatingposted 13 years ago

Of course online dating works. It works just as well as dating in the real world.
    It's a case of finding the right site to join where you'll find like minded people.
    As with most things on the net, people present themselves as they want to be percieved not what they actually are so once you've made a connection it's good to get them in front of a video cam or on Skype to ensure your talking to the person who's in the picture.
    You don't want to waste time talking to a 'fake' fat fifty year old guy from Uzbekistan when you thought you were falling in love with a 23 blonde hottie from Mayfair.
    A good place to start is by reading articles on dating review sites or by talking to family and friends for dating site recommendations. Just aboit everyone I know has used an Dating site.

33. mrscrowleey1029 profile image60
    mrscrowleey1029posted 11 years ago

Yes they do work smile My Hubby and I have been married for almost year now smile

34. T15 profile image59
    T15posted 11 years ago

I've never had good experiences with it, but two of my cousins are happily in love. You have to be patient and develop a good creeper radar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)