Am I the one to blame?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image50
    jenny bradposted 14 years ago

I smoke and my husband doesn't trust me because I smoked behind his back and lied about it. I lied because I feel like he controls me too much and he always brings up divorce when we argue. We argue a lot and I usually lose. It's like he has more power over me, ex. if I smoke he usually wants sex because I smoke. He keeps the pack locked up and keeps the key with him and allows me one a day. Sometimes that's not enough because when I'm stressed I don't know how to deal with it. I'm sad and I smoke to calm down. I want to quit and am trying. When I try to talk to him about how I feel, we end up arguing and it always boils down to me smoking and bothering him about playing too much WoW. He doesn't admit to any fault except that he 'lets' me smoke. He plays WoW to relax and escape from life's problems so why can't I smoke to do the same and someday find another way to relax? He doesn't let me hang out with my BF's because they smoke and he thinks they encourage me to smoke but they don't, I made the choice to smoke behind his back (that was my mistake). They even said they would leave their packs with him so us girls could go see a movie and have a girls night. He got mad and just said, "they could go buy another pack," true, but they said they would do whatever necessary so we could go out together. We have a little girl and I never go out without either her or my husband. He doesn't want me to leave her with him because he hates to feed her and all he wants to do is play WoW. Am I just silly or should he take some fault?

1. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe you need a new husband..or get rid of that one and be single..he is not your father and is trying to be..

I ended up with a roomate who acted like that to me..he acted like he was with me, controlled my cigarettes and my medications, lived off me and kept saying he was trying to help..he even controlled my car...I was actually afraid of him..

I ended that quick by moving out while he was at work on a forth of July holiday ( the only day he worked more than 3 hrs a day )..then the jerk harassed me saying I owed him, he loved me, blah -blah-blah..I changed my phone number and got protection...

he is still out there, but has not found me yet..he was a mamma's boy, over 30 and I id not ever want him ...I leaned this from just having a roomate, and this guy is actually your husband...file for divorce dear, he will just get worse!

2. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

It's time for you to bring up the divorce!

1. profile image50
      jenny bradposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of my BF's is a single mom and she reminded me how hard it is. I have brought it up but I just can't do it.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

How old are you?

1. profile image50

I'm 20. He believes he does nothing wrong.

1. profile image50

How do I put up boundaries for myself without starting an argument?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The arguement has already started, what your really wanting to know is how do you win the argument.

1. profile image50

yea...

First you have to decide if it is worth winning, by that I mean if you end up with an ultimatum, quit smoking and do as your told or leave....

is it worth getting to that point to you. If your answer is yes, then tell him that.

If your answer is no then be quiet and do as your told.

1. profile image50

I dont want him to leave and i dont want him controling me. I want to reach common ground.

1. IzzyM profile image86
                  IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you should teach him a lesson, and take your little girl and move out - call it a trial separation - see if he make the moves to woo you back?

1. profile image50

we live with my dad

2. AEvans profile image72
                AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You did not say that? lololo

Be quiet and do as your told oh my goodness! lololo big_smile

That is the way the situation seems to be for her to me... Those seem to be her choices...

I'm not very blunt am I... (grinning)

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Some guys are just control freaks. My boyfriend is one of them too. I think deep down he has insecurities, and it could be your husband has them too. You need to reassure him, if you can, that you love him and think he is wonderful.
    I should take my own advice, when my fella gets bolshie, I just tell him he knows where the door is.
    I am not married to him. That makes a big difference.
    You have a young child too. He should not be telling you what to do with your life. It is your choice to stop smoking. All he has a right to do is encourage you. This thing about locking the cigarettes away is just control, nothing more.
    You are young, I assume he is too.
    I take it you are still in love with him. Fine, just don't be 'in awe' of him. When he has you there he will walk all over you, and he will lose respect for you, because that is the type he is.
    Reassure him, but be firm. You are an adult, you have to stand on your own two feet, even to him.
    Things could change. If they don't...Walk.

1. profile image50

I'm pretty sure he would walk. Every argument we have ends with me feeling worse off than before. I try to compromise with him but in the end I feel like I get the shorter end of the stick.

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You're young and uneducated in the,"Powers of Guilt!" My wife can ruin my son and I with just a look! Demand a truce until you can be taught and good luck!

6. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

If he is controlling you now, it will get worse as both of you get older get out now before the emotional and mental abuse turns to physical abuse or violence. Divorce him and your father should support you on that decision. smile

In the meantime quit smoking it is bad for your health!

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They do sometimes change. My first husband was like this but I knocked it out off him, eventually.

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

There are classes starting in your area!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)