jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)

Why do people tend to put more effort into impressing a new lover?

1. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

One would think people would want to shower a person with love and affection who has committed to them. Why is it more often than not a "new lover" gets our best efforts? hmmm

1. Greek One profile image76
      Greek Oneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

same reason you dress nicely for a job interview...

but after 10 years of pushing paper, you don't even care if you take a shower that week

1. Chaotic Chica profile image72
        Chaotic Chicaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I love how you can just cut to the quick of it in the most bare-boned way possible and still make a solid point! big_smile

i love the way you can use the term 'bare-boned' in a non-sexual manner wink

2. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 7 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha!!!!!! showers are over rated.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image92
      Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

because when you meet someone for the first time, you try to put on your best impression for them, as they could easily shoot you down if they don't like for any reason.

however, once your in a relationship for a while, you both start to notice each other's flaws so to speak to where each lover just feels like they can be themselves without the need to impress often.  they no longer feel the need to impress you, as the two see each all the time now. of course, this is also when communication starts to break down too.  not that i would know from first hand experience.  i've never been in a serious relationship in my life, but this is what i observed and listen to what other people have told me in the past.  trust me, it's a lot.  lollol

2. Chaotic Chica profile image72
    Chaotic Chicaposted 7 years ago

This is a very interesting, and valid, question.  As it so happens I was pondering this just last night as I read an article proffesing tips to improve your married love life and one of them was to make love like you were dating.
    I found that ponderable and came to the conclusion that it's most likely because, consciously or sub-consiously, once we have established the commitment, there is no longer an iminent (sp) threat in regards to that person leaving.  That lends itself to a feeling of security (perhaps falsely) that suggests that their partner already likes what they are doing therefore there is no need to expand on that or reinforce it.
    Of course I could be way off base but that's my humble take on it. big_smile

3. profile image0
    sarahsherlockposted 7 years ago

A chemical reaction in the brain that pushes us to mate with that person, hence trying to impress them. This wears off over time which is why some relationships font get very far.

1. profile image0
      sarahsherlockposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Apologies - I can't type on this iPhone!

4. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 7 years ago

because no body can be thier best all the time. eventually you have to fart.

1. profile image0

Farting is a necessary part of living but do you HAVE to do it in front of somebody?

if there is no second person reaction, how can i know FOR SURE that I farted?

1. profile image0

I thought those who model for the national geographic have a good sense of smell? smile

1. profile image0

no, just good taste in lion cloths

2. profile image0

if there is no second person reaction, why does it even matter if you farted?

1. profile image0

My point exactly!

1. profile image0

smile

2. profile image0

depends on if the other person ever leaves...

working