Switching Genders - How it Affects a Relationship

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

This question has stumped my husband and I ever since  we saw something about the interview. They might have discussed this on Oprah, but I didn't see anything on it.

Chaz Bono had a sex change operation a while back and he and his significant other agreed to an interview with Oprah a month or two ago, discussing the effects the whole thing had on their relationship.

But, if two women are together in a lesbian relationship and one has a sex change to become a man; are they then a heterosexual couple? I'm confused because if you are attracted to women and the woman you're with becomes a man I would think that would kill the relationship.  Or do some types of love simply transcend sexual orientation?

1. profile image0
      lostwithinmyselfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My husband gets confused at this too. To be honest is baffles me lol. I guess it does depend on the people in the relationship. Good question though. x

2. thighhighchick profile image60
    thighhighchickposted 12 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. I want to be with a man sometimes but also like women too. But I want my woman to be a woman.

3. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 12 years ago

There is not an answer I think.... Every situation has its answer. If in a couple of lesbian the attraction is for their minds and thoughts rather then purely phisical and one of two wants, for an her important pulsion, become a man, the couple can survive. However surely this is an important and delicate change and only a strong relationship, with a deep dialogue, can overcome it.

4. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

If someone has a sex change, they do not biologically become the other gender. The surgery comes at the end after they get jacked up with hormones and such other treatments to make their bodies imitate the opposite gender. A man who has a sex change will not get pregnant or menstruate or ovulate for instance. Which is why I feel such procedures should be reserved for people who have genuine androgynous or hermaphoarditic qualities.

As for myself, I would want my partner to accept me for who I am as I would only fall in love with a woman who loves herself the way she is. I am very very stubborn about that. I will only like a woman (as in romantic interest) the way she likes herself.

5. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

I think it really depends on the individual relationship. I've heard absolute horror stories about some people who have undergone sex changes with little warning or explanation to their family and left years of bad feelings in their wake.

On the other hand, if somebody has been open about their gender identity from the start, it's completely possible that their significant other fell in love with them as a transgender individual. I.e., in the case of Chaz Bono, his S.O. may have fallen in love with him as a man, even though at that time he was biologically female.

I don't know enough about this particular case to pass judgment, but several of the more "alternative" sexualities (most notably pansexuality) are specifically inclusive of non-traditional gender identities, so it's certainly possible that his S.O. may be equally happy with their sexual relationship pre- and post-op.

6. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

There is a difference between sex and gender. Sex is changeable through an operation and hormonal treatment; gender rarely changes.

I think you're talking about changing sex, not changing gender.

In Chaz Bono's case, my suspicion is his SO always considered him male because that was, and is, his gender.

7. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

Livelonger nailed it, however most people don't understand it. Most people fall in love with a personality, not the sex.

If you loved someone, then they had an accident and could no longer have sex, would you not love them anymore? Most would say they would still love them.

The same is true for those in love with someone who has a sex change. They love the person, not the body. So it would not matter.

However again most can't wrap their mind around it. And, lots of people would leave someone if they changed, or even could no longer have sex. sad

8. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I didn't think about the fact that Chaz had been living as a guy for years, waiting to have the operation. So, then I can see why his significant other probably wasn't shocked by the change.

But, I can honestly say that I don't agree with falling in love with personalities only.

Love my husband to death, but if he told me he was caught in a woman's body I would be supportive every step of the way, but as a friend. We would not remain married.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)