jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Have you ever received a hug from a perfect stranger? Given one?

1. MummyTales profile image60
    MummyTalesposted 6 years ago

People are very closed up and keep to themselves in these times. But sometimes something may happen, or you may hear a story that compels you to give a person a hug, or someone could do it for you. How did it make you feel?

1. Lisa HW profile image79
      Lisa HWposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have, and each time I've been completely creeped out by it.   I'm pretty much a "Strangers, keep your mitts off me," kind of person.   smile

2. janikon profile image88
      janikonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This one time on the bus an extremely drunk girl asked me for a hug - she was three times my size - for fear of my life I agreed. It was extremely weird and something I wish not to repeat.

2. AEvans profile image80
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

I hug strangers when they need a hug. It makes them smile. smile

..unless they're me, in which case, it doesn't.   big_smile

1. AEvans profile image80
        AEvansposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are so funny! lololololo big_smile If it were you I would hug you even more just because you are you! big_smile

smile   I just said, "NO HUGGING!!!!   mad  mad    (See those little emoticon faces?  I've perfected the art of that facial expression in real life, and I'd bet you can guess what most makes me call upon that particular skill.   smile  )

1. AEvans profile image80
            AEvansposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes I do! lolololo ! big_smile

3. MummyTales profile image60
    MummyTalesposted 6 years ago

I'm quite closed off myself but have hugged people I didn't know a few minutes before. I am a Beautician so get to know people's life stories in a 5 minute eyebrow wax job! This can sometimes lead to a hug, I've even been in tears with some. Some people come to me on their way to the airport for a funeral for example. Yes, eyebrows are still important at a time like that to some people! I am normally only affectionate to a few people but will give a hug where needed smile

I can see that.  Keep hugging those people.   smile    (I probably shouldn't admit this on a public forum, but I'm just not a big fan of hugging except under some very limited circumstances, and when a very rare, few, people are involved.  smile  (I have a really, really, big personal-space bubble.  hmm  )

4. wordscribe43 profile image93
    wordscribe43posted 6 years ago

Funny thing... I just gave a hug to a perfect stranger about 10 days ago.  She was the wonderful woman who rescued the dog we were adopting from a shelter.  If it weren't for her, we wouldn't have Harvey today.  As we took Harvey from her, I saw her tear up.  I had to run over to her and give her a huge hug.

MummyTalesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

beautiful! smile

1. wordscribe43 profile image93
        wordscribe43posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  This might be a little confusing to some...  I adopted him from a group here called OFOSA (Oregon Friends of Shelter Animals).  They rescue dogs from death row in shelters and find them foster homes.  Harvey's foster mom was the stranger I hugged.  I feel very indebted to her.

5. moncrieff profile image78
    moncrieffposted 6 years ago

To me, a hug is a violation of my personal space. I don't give anyone (not to mention a stranger) a hug and although I accept other people's hugs, I do so reluctantly deep inside.

MummyTalesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I completely understand. I often feel the same, although sometimes a situation just calls for one. No hugs for you! wink

6. seowriterforlaw profile image57
    seowriterforlawposted 6 years ago

Yeah. I've had experienced being hugged by a stranger. And it was the most shocking thing that happen to me. You know what I did? I just pretend that he is my long lost relative from somewhere and hugged him back with a bitter smile on my lips. I actually did it to avoid embarrassment in front of many people.LOL

7. maven101 profile image79
    maven101posted 6 years ago

My wife is the facilitator for her cancer support group ( she is a two time survivor )...The name of the group is Happy Huggers...I must have hugged hundreds of strangers, and been hugged in return, when accompanying her to her meetings...

A hug, a touch, even a smiling look can mean the world to someone in need...Larry

working