Who is your buddy

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

This is a subject of which I am now in a discussion, with one of my friends.
    Why does a person choose to allow another person to become their friend?                                             
      How does it happen.      Why does it happen?  How many answers are there? 

When we really “get down to brass tacks” so-to-speak, is it about     mutual/self gratification of one kind or another?
      I’m talking about allowing someone to become one of those close personal friends. One of those kind that we would greatly inconvience ourselves for when they ask for a favor.                                  
       Why are some people rejected and others drawn so closely?

Generally speaking; why would/should I bestow upon you special favor which is not given to someone else?
       Why would/should you choose me for such an honor? Or, I you?                Why do I do the things that I do,    With those that I choose to.

Nothing important; was just wondering how you pick your friends.
    And why we keep them through the rough times.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

i think the answer varies...timing..what's happening in one's life or where one is at..some friends touch in for a time and shine - because that is what is needed...other friends touch in for a long time and go through some or all of the ride of life with you...not sure if I've answered the why - it can be complicated  - i guess you'd have to look at individual relationships and ask why/how each started

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

..the long term friends are there for the long haul, the rough times, the good times...there's lots of trust; understanding; really, really connected with you; and they know who you are and where you've been and wanna keep on movin' along with you

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes  that is true!
          And after a little bit of time ...  we find out that some friendships isn't a two way street.

My grand Pa once told me that if when we get old, and need our second hand to count our REAL friends on; that we have had through life, ...  count ourselves blessed.

But that is another issue.

I think that when we choose someone wishing them to be one of those real friends, we might be looking to fill some kind of need.

But really,   do we really ever find something worth keeping when we are looking for it?

Or do we just one day discover that we got it?

I started this thread, not to tell it like it is,  rather, to see what you thought.

Thanks for the answers so far.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i agree with grandpa....big_smile...

i think we come to the realization of who friends are, especially when you come to a turn/bump in the road...some don't move along with you, but you might run into them again at the next intersection 

good mornin'...speaking of roads....this morning is turning out to be a nice one...so i'm off for a ride down one...have a great day!

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I read a rather cynical article written by a psychologist that said we choose friends based ONLY on the way they make us feel about ourselves. I have lots of friends, and I believe they're friends for a wide range of reasons.

4. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I stopped finding 'best friend' and 'good friends' years ago. These days i prefer to hang around people who make me feel happy and motivated. I'm done with people with hostile vibes or 'use and throw' mentality. It's better to keep some distance with any type of people these days( be it online or offline)as it helps keep mind cool for long time.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sky, I somewhat agree with you. I really don't like being around negative people who are argumentative, gloomy, or angry all the time. Life is too short!

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Ha..y   sky habee and somewhere.

I Cain't argue with nunAya,  I've always thought that friends are for using each other.  NOT ab-using.

Many times it doesn't take any effort (to speak of) to really help a friend out of a really tough spot.
       And if you have ten friends that ya help, and it only one of them helps ya back when you need it,    It was ALL worth it.

I would never ask a friend for a favor that I wouldn't do for them.

It has been my habit to collect friends that are more needy than myself.
    They are ALWAYS needing favors!
      Maybe this is how I recieve some of my self gratification?
      I've tried to kick that habit,  but it just seems imposible sometimes.

OH Well  I guess I stuck with it the way that it is.

I'm exagerating (a lot, I hope Ya know?)!

6. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I don't know if i'm right or wrong with this type of thinking. But i guess staying in one type of spiral - be it negative, fear or something uncomfortable affects directly on mental health and physical at the end. So i guess it's just for me -"All people are my friends, it's just i'm selective how close to keep them'. Again my experience reflects in my post here but not all have bad experience and hostile or uncomfortable friends around.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)