jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Rape victims are to be blamed for their ill fate

1. silverstararrow profile image85
    silverstararrowposted 5 years ago

A recent account in a leading national daily has left me stunned. A gang rape on the outskirts of a city, with the woman just barely alive, was reported almost a fortnight back. Rather than file a case and look for perpetrators of such a heinous crime, police and politicians (both male and female) have been going on about how women in the country encourage rape by dressing provocatively.

This is third in a series of similar incidents. These kinds of atrocities are not limited to women alone, but have now extended to men and even children. Yet, the enforcers of law and order turn a blind eye to them.

Is the victim in a rape/assault case (man, woman or child) really to be blamed for being a target?

1. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is so ridiculous, it make me so mad. As a victim myself it leaves me speechless.......Arrrrrrrggggggggg

silverstararrowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's outrageous (but true) how simply the matter was disposed. I think such ignorance is at par with the brutality of the people who commit such crime. I'm not certain if such a scenario may happen in another country, but it definitely did happen here.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
          Mark Knowlesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Where is "here"? And - I have to say - you are looking ripped and very hot. Do you work out much?

silverstararrowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here is- India. And, no that's not my pic at all; rather an illustration from one of my favorite poems, 'The Raven'. smile

2. kerryg profile image86
      kerrygposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Victim blaming is one of the classic symptoms of rape culture, unfortunately. Perhaps THE classic symptom.

2. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Victim blaming is very common. For instance, in many cases of rape, there are comments made about what the victim was wearing if the outfit itself is not put on trial. However, the problem lies in the attacker, not the victim.

working