jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Why Science and Atheism are NOT the Same

1. profile image59
    Mick Menousposted 5 years ago

While Atheism deals with not being a part of any religion or simply having no tolerance or respect for religion, Science, in my perspective,  is a more tolerant and respectful philosophy when it comes to accepting religions for what they mostly are: peaceful.

Based off of my own personal logic and reasoning, I’ve come to the conclusion that, while they’re two difference philosophies, Religion, (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.), and Science CAN and SHOULD live and work together. Both have many things in common, and while I can’t name all of them now, there is surely one thing that the two philosophies do have in common: they both want peace and hope for the future of our world. As far as I’m concerned, Science isn’t “man-made,” NOR is Religion, as the radical atheists would claim; rather, they’re both gifts for humankind.

I don’t believe that the issue we’re facing here in the USA is whether or not there is a God. We’ve gone beyond that. To me, the REAL issue in America is that the radical atheists are having no respect or tolerance for religion. They use Science, Logic, and Reason as their excuses to justify their bigotry and hatred towards Religions, when really, Science and Atheism and NOT the same philosophy or idea. For example, you CAN still be a Scientist AND a Christian, Muslim, or Jew at the same time. And as far as Logic and Reason go, I believe that bashing Religions is not a Reasonable thing to do. Bashing or criticizing someone just because of their Religious innocence and background is not Logical.

Remember, just because you believe in or support Science, does NOT always mean you’re an atheist. And just because you’re a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, does NOT mean you’re a superstitious, illogical, or unreasonable person. Also keep in mind that both Superstition and Religion are NOT the same thing either.

END.

1. autumn18 profile image67
      autumn18posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Science isn't a philosophy though. Whether a person believes in it or not doesn't matter, it still is there. I agree that bashing a person and/or their religion isn't a nice thing to do. Hateful behavior should be bashed. If a group is feeling bashed then maybe they should look at their behavior. Unfortunately sometimes the bad behavior is only from a few that makes the whole group look bad. I happen to think that superstition and religion are kind of the same. I'm not saying that's necessarily bad though.

1. jacharless profile image78
        jacharlessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Science is the equation approach to knowledge, understanding the universe.
        Its counter -yet equal measure- is sensationalism. By all respects, a bastard philosophy, yes, but still one we are forced to accept as such. As a philosopher, leaning toward philology, would like nothing more than both to not be apart of the title. But, such is life...

Science: Latin scientia meaning knowledge. It is a systematic method that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions¹; the body of reliable knowledge that can be logically and rationally explained; classical antiquity; natural philosophy.

¹a statement about the way things will happen in the future, often, but not always, based on experience or knowledge. See forecasting, astrology, prophecy.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I make a science of my superstition.

3. jacharless profile image78
    jacharlessposted 5 years ago

"When Your Old Religion Fails, Don't Get Down In The mouth. Make A New One, That Does Nothing But Misguide People Like Your Old Religion Did And Drain Countless Hours Out Of Completely Pointless Existence. Atheism, Who Cares?! You Won't Even Remember You Were One!" big_smile

4. knolyourself profile image60

I love superstition. Makes spirituality real.

5. knolyourself profile image60

Can we all agree on testable? If not there then nowhere.

6. Nouveau Skeptic profile image72
    Nouveau Skepticposted 5 years ago

"While Atheism deals with not being a part of any religion or simply having no tolerance or respect for religion"

Atheism "is" not believing in God.  The rest is your prejudice.  As an atheist I, personally, am involved in inter-faith understanding and non-violence initiative.

"Science, in my perspective,  is a more tolerant and respectful philosophy"

Science is associated with a number of philosophies.  It is not, itself, a philosophy. For example my science is ethology, my philosophy of science is radical behaviorism, my philosophy of life is humanism.  These are related by not synonymous things. The fact that there are philosophies of science demonstrates that science is not itself a philosophy.

"when it comes to accepting religions for what they mostly are: peaceful."

Science is probably more closely related to violence than atheism is. But neither is innately connected to it.

"Religion, (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.), and Science CAN and SHOULD live and work together."

Religion and science are what are non-overlapping domains that should interact minimally and benignly. Similarly to religion and democratic government and democratic government and the military. See: http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_noma.html

"they both want peace and hope for the future of our world."

I will tell you who wants peace and a good future: people.  Religious and atheist alike.

"To me, the REAL issue in America is that the radical atheists are having no respect or tolerance for religion."

And you do not see the irony of making such a hostile statement in the name of tolerance?

"Remember, just because you believe in or support Science, does NOT always mean you’re an atheist."

Um, who ever said otherwise.  Although working scientists are somewhat more likely to be atheist, in almost every discipline the majority are religious.

All I see in your statement, really, is a denigration of atheism.  We need to respect all people, not make respect contingent on having certain thoughts of beliefs.

working