What basic principles for living do religions and philosophies share in common?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Emanate Presence profile image71
    Emanate Presenceposted 10 years ago

What basic principles for living do religions and philosophies share in common?

I would enjoy reading answers from a wide range of perspectives - Buddhism (which has been said to be a philosophy, not a religion), Christianity, Confucianism, Agnosticism, Science - or a personal worldview that is not associated with organized religion. What matters to you the most of all the tenets or points of your faith or beliefs, that are values shared in some way by other religions or worldviews?

2. Jared Miles profile image69
    Jared Milesposted 10 years ago

I know at least that both Buddhism and Christianity share some common tenets in their Five Precepts, and Ten Commandments, respectively.

I paraphrase, but both Buddhism and Christianity teach that you should not kill living things, you should not commit adultery, you should not lie, and you should not steal.

Others are particular just to Buddhism, or just to Christianity, because of the obvious differences between the two, but those above are some basic principles that Buddhism and Christianity share.

Emanate Presenceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, it's a start. I have written to a friend who practices Buddhism to ask her about the core teachings of the Buddha, the principles for living. I know they hold that all sentient life is sacred, not humans only. Jesus spoke of a way of life.

2. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Emanate, if you are interested in more about Buddhism (in all its variants), just ask. I live the ancient practice, and teach about all existing schools. If all goes well, I'll be publishing it soon.

3. Emanate Presence profile image71

Sid, I am interested, to a point. Here I was more responding to the noise in another Question thread, with a wish to focus on unifying and positive principles. I practiced Buddhism in the '70s, but off-shoot brands. Good energy is sent for your book.

4. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

SidKemp, how about publishing a hub on Buddhism... it can act as a summary for your forthcoming book.

5. Emanate Presence profile image71

I second the motion from WalterPoon.

3. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

To love each other is the common philosophy shared by all of them, unfortunately, some religions add love with conditions. If you do not believe in this god you go to hell mentality is prevalent in some religions. No wonder we cant have peace on earth with this type of thinking.

Yes, Renee, and then is asked what is meant by 'love each other' and how does it look in daily situations. It seems in general that religions have brought more grief to humanity than blessings. I was looking though, for common points of usefulness.

2. Renee Abbott profile image80
      Renee Abbottposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not a Christian. Raised Jewish, now mystic with pagan beliefs. Common traits are there absolutely. Minus 'my' religion is the correct one, there is a common thread through them all. An evolotion of humanity, with yin and yan mixed in it.

Renee, I really like that, 'An evolution of humanity, with yin and yan mixed in it.'

4. Renee Abbott profile image80
      Renee Abbottposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You cant have one without the other.

Yes, agreed. You cannot have Yin without Yang or Yang without Yin. It is the balance of the universe. Also, depending on one's definitions, you cannot have matter without spirit or spirit without matter.

4. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

And, on the negative side - they all frighten people into believing that if they do not worship their respective Gods they will go to Hades for eternity. 

On the positive side - many offer common sense ways to be a good person, spread love, and do no harm to others.

And in between we have a few that think they are the only righteous people that have the right to judge others to the point of harm, both physically and mentally.

Unfortunately, there are very few that offer a more plausible and realistic philosophy, such as in Hinduism (the oldest and probably the most sound religion in human history)

Ok, since answers here are straying far from my intended purpose in asking, which was to focus on principles which unify worldviews or at least that they share in common, which are important to people, well, why don't you tell us about Hinduism?

2. d.william profile image75
      d.williamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

U should have been more explicit in what U wanted. U asked about what they share in common, not just the positives.  Re: Hinduism:  http://sunilkunnoth2012.hubpages.com/hu … ous-World. otherwise 2 long 4 limited space

Yes, you are right, I could have been more explicit. I wrote 'What matters to you' and interpreted it for myself to mean principles leading to what you choose in life. Anyway, I see Questions as an experiment, and it is all good. Thanks for the link

4. d.william profile image75

To B more precise with what U R asking:  ALL religions have 2 main themes in common: 1.Honor God. 2.Live a life that will get us to Nirvana(heaven). Then they start 2 differ in the rules of how to live that life.

5. SidKemp profile image85

Respectfully, gentlemen, 3 disagreements here. 1 In asking for Principles, Emanate was asking for the positive. 2 Not all religions have anything to do with God, Much Buddhism doesn't. 3 Nirvana isn't heavean, it is a life lived here, w/o suffering.

6. d.william profile image75

Sid:Nirvana-the final beatitude that transcends suffering=blissful existence as does heaven. Thank U Mr. Pres of interpretations.Those R the 2 positives. All else falls under them. i don't presume to rewrite anyone's comments. understand metaphors.

7. SidKemp profile image85

d.william - respectfully - can't say it well in a short space. I was referring to the Buddha's original meaning of Nirvana Dukkha (3rd noble truth). I honor that other interpretations exist. But Buddha himself discouraged speculations of afterlife.

5. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

One view is that all religions promote behavior that leads to a workable civil society. So not killing, lying, stealing, or screwing around (4 of the 5 Buddhist precepts and 4 of the 10 commandments, and also present in all world religions) show up.

Some form of fairness (do unto others as they would do unto you, or do not do unto others as they would not do unto you) comes up, too.

All religions have some sects or groups that point out the risk of alcohol or other intoxicants. This varies more than the above.

There is always some guidance about patience, about things bearing fruit over time, about persistence, and about repentance after failure.

There is always some sense of justice.

The Divine Principle of Love, which is harmless to all and beneficial to all appears also, and is my favorite.

Buddhists say no screwing around? How do they propagate then? Just kidding. Your answer is along the lines I had in mind, though I know better than to have expectations (they are on my list of things to let go of.) More in an answer to come....

2. SidKemp profile image85

No screwing around, not no screwing! Both celibacy and monogamous relationship are deeply respected in Buddhism. Sects that go for no sex at all, like the Christian Shakers, are great, but don't last long.

Sid, as I know you know, my comment was in fun. I did -not- know that the Shakers go for no sex at all. Interesting. I'd edit my Question at this point to give more clarity (re: d. william,) but no more editing allowed. Ah well. Lessons learned.

6. Emanate Presence profile image71
    Emanate Presenceposted 10 years ago

This question came as my response to another HubPages question, where folks were bashing religion and each other.

My intention was to focus on the core principles of religions, which if applied would lead to a more ideal version of human life on earth.

bunnypoeta wrote, 'Both were made & created by & for mankind.' and to this Silverspeeder replied, 'So was the theory of evolution!'

Sorry, these comments were so far removed from the Question, I deleted them.

Although Kati and I do not practice any form of religion, a Buddhist friend wrote, ".... you are true Buddhists. It is only like being beautiful, which does not be belong to any group or any place or any thing."

Surely, there are gems of beauty in all religions.

Some people who identify themselves with a religion only pretend to practice to look good and bring more business (hub on Hinduism, linked by d. william,) while others use their family's religious background as an excuse for their own personal hatred and violence.

That doesn't make the religion itself phony or violent. Corruption sets in to any human organization. Can we get to the core of how people would behave if they truly practiced the precepts of their religion as expressed by its founder?

1. Jared Miles profile image69
      Jared Milesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think all religions attempt not to achieve perfection from its followers, but to provide ideas from which people can base their moral decisions. Bruce Lee once said, "A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves as something to aim at"

2. bunnypoeta profile image39
      bunnypoetaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Emanate Presence: By quoting my comment that you so kindly erased, you have shown two of the basic principles for living that religions & philosophies share in common: Humility & Respect (thanks)...
      It was reductionist 4 a reason. Best Wishes

bunnypoeta, yes, I erased your comment kindly. Also went to your profile, but as you've not published any hubs, it does not help me understand where you are coming from (besides Portugal.) What does it mean, about reductionist? Did I miss something?

4. bunnypoeta profile image39
      bunnypoetaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever felt in a written dot more depth than what would be found in a thousand written words? That's from where I come from besides of proudly being from Portugal. Don't expect to obtain enlightenment from recycled dry straw...Best Wishes.

Hummmm. bunnypoeta, there might be something to it, about the dot and dry straw. Thank you for the insight. I understand Portugal is a beautiful country. Closest I've been is Tarifa, in the south of Spain. Best to you.

7. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

The focus of religion is spirituality, while that of philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom via rational argument. Thus, the two have totally different objectives. However, both touch on moral values in order to achieve their objectives and therefore,  it is here that the two share a common ground.

I appreciate this elucidation, and can see how my wording of the question was not entirely clear. I really was asking, 'What key principles for living do religions/philosophies/worldviews espouse and what do they share in common with each other?'

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Emanate, I don't think your wording of the question was unclear. My answer was that both espouse moral values to live by.

Okay, thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)