Einstein's "God" letter sells for $3million+

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years ago

Einstein's letter to Eric B. Gutkind where he (Einstein) expressed is disdain for God and the Bible has just sold fof $3,000,100.00

http://wp.me/p2Jz2C-9B

Perhaps the salient point is this:

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

Which will (one can but hope) put an end to the constant barrage of theists claiming that Einstein believed in majik.

The actual auction is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Albert-Einstein … 7675.l2557

Prophecy - this was bought by a religionist who will doctor it and it will eventually reappear saying Einstein believed in Majik.......... wink

1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

....meanwhile back in the present, here is another relevant video to see for those who want to know what is happening now, and who do not clutch at one mans' beliefs (at that time) and which could have changed.

Every believer has at one time been unaware or resistant to the existence of God.

No believer is born a believer, all have to choose it as their path to follow.

This video (for those who will watch it) explains a whole lot that most folk never hear about.

What I particularly like is the multi-faith content that agrees on salient points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTq0xjJa … plpp_video

Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please stop trying to derail the thread Aguasilver. That is against the Hubpages TOS. I know it must bite to know that one of the World's Greatest Thinkers thought your religion childish, but still..

This is why your religion causes so many conflicts. You will try and stamp out any that have a different opinion.

Thankfully you can no longer burn us at the stake. wink

To Whit - Einstein's opinion on your religion:

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

What do you think?

Does not bite me whatsoever, what he thought on religion is of no consequence either way, and one comment against; which differs from other comments giving credence, actually has no relevance to what is happening in the (spiritual) world.

If anything, being "one of the World's Greatest Thinkers" would be exactly the conditions required to detach from our spiritual side and only see the physical, as a scientist.

Of course had he been studying and thinking about spiritual matters, his conclusions would have been interesting to observe.

Guess from the short time lapse between our posts, you did not actually watch the video, which is a great pity, as I think it may help you recognise where your obsessions come from.

"This is why your religion causes so many conflicts. You will try and stamp out any that have a different opinion."

Now THAT is pot calling the kettle black!  lol

Interesting that you felt the need to immediately post some YouTube stuff in an attempt to negate what he thought if it doesn't bite. lol

Why would I want to watch the video? You have posted numerous Liars For Jesus videos before and I value my time. Odd you think this video is worth watching, but you give no weight to Einstein's thoughts.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read the letter, he was thinking about them and he did offer his conclusions. That is the point of this thread and the letter.

"Childish," was the term he used if I remember correctly. big_smile

2. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image86
          HeadlyvonNogginposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's also quite well documented that the order he saw in the universe suggested to him the existence of a God....
          "I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

Einstein rejected the label atheist, which he associated with certainty regarding God's nonexistence. Einstein stated: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ein … ious_views)

None of which changes his utter disdain for your religion - which he called "Childish."

Hey - I would believe in Spinoza's God if it would keep the theists quiet. wink

2. pisean282311 profile image61
            pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@headly u r right....he thought abrahamic religions as funny and primitive but he didnt reject god...

OK, Albert was entitled to his opinion, and intelligent enough to recognise that God cannot be ruled out of the equation, that's fine, and he thought organised religion was childish, well so do I on occasion, but that does not change my relationship with God through Christ.

Mountain from a molehill, but I'm glad somebody made a few bucks from the letter.

It sold for a lot less than expected. Only 2 bids as well.

So really, not much interest! smile

Like I said, a mountain made out of a molehill... wink

Yeah - $3,000,100.00 for a single letter. lol

@agua the letter was never written to alter ur relationship with christ...it was written to express his view...and god is biggest business...one can write pro god or anti god and it would pour money....

Not seen that work out in practise! lol

1. pisean282311 profile image61

wink

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

Irrelevant, we already know there is very little that can change your mind about religion. The point of this thread is not to accomplish that mission, but instead, an attempt to have believers show a bit of honesty by not misrepresenting Einsteins religious thoughts and conclusions.

The smallest molehill of dishonesty will outweigh the mountain.

Ah, I see your overactive imagination is still functioning.

1. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image86
              HeadlyvonNogginposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Substance, ATM, substance. If you disagree with what I said, then state why. On what basis. I didn't know Einstein personally, I only go by what I read. If I'm wrong, show me where or how. Be specific. From what I can tell it is well documented that while he didn't believe in a personal God he did not reject the existence of a God. Obviously you have something to add that could maybe help us all understand better. Please share.

2. Sonneborn profile image60
        Sonnebornposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"No believer is born a believer, all have to choose it as their path to follow"

I don't necessarily agree with this statement.  I know that nobody is born a believer, but a lot of believers upbringing is the root of their beliefs.  I for one was unwillingly raised a catholic by my parents and believed and followed it for a long time because I was not old enough to know any better.  Eventually I became old enough to make my own decisions and I reasoned myself out of Christianity and made the choice to not associate with it anymore.  I do believe that many people just take the religion that was forced upon them at birth for granted and stick with it because it is most convenient for them. 
        Kinda like santa.  Nobody is born a santa believer, but  your parents tell  you he is real.  Eventually they let you know they were lying, but if nobody ever told  you might go on believing he is real your whole life thinking that you chose to believe in his existence even though it was imprinted into your thoughts at a young age.

My point was from Gods perspective.

What parents may indoctrinate their children with is not the issue, the point is that God requires each person to conclude for themselves whether He exists and whether He will be Lord of their lives or they will.

The enemy frequently uses token religious folk to 'inoculate' children against God with their over zealous or oppressive activity.

If you have decide to be your own god, so be it.

Wonderful that you know what God is thinking. :lol

Still - please can we keep the discussion on course instead of preaching at us that you know wot god wants - yet again. sad

1. ytbot1x profile image61
              ytbot1xposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Received fake sunglasses from Ebay. What now?
              http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 219AAU8XOO

Limitation of Liability, eBay

"We try to keep eBay and its sites, services, and tools safe, secure, and functioning properly.  You acknowledge that we cannot guarantee the continuous operation of or access to our sites, services, or tools.  You further acknowledge that operation of and access to our sites, services, or tools may be interfered with as a result of technical issues or numerous factors outside of our control.  You agree that you are making use of our sites, services, and tools at your own risk, and that they are being provided to you on an "AS IS" and "AS AVAILABLE" basis".

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/use … ml?fb=true

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

If you can't use that line of reasoning in a court of law because they'll haul you away for psychiatric evaluation, what makes you think you can use it here?

He is just trying to distract from the fact that some one paid $3 MILLION for Einstein's letter in which he says:

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

1. AndReall profile image59
                AndReallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey pretty! Mark, where is the dark horse of religion? Don't trust eBay? Nope, the mugs believe it! lol

3. pisean282311 profile image61

@agua it is your perceptive about god's perceptive...

lol Interviews with brain dead, deluded mystics who ramble on about various realms? ROTFLMAO lol

2. ytbot1x profile image61
      ytbot1xposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Stop posting links to fake 'news', Evo lol

3. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 5 years agoin reply to this
    4. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is no available provenance-of-einsteins-god-letter.
      The signature on the letter has serious flaws.
      The earliest date I can find for it on the internet is 2008.
      Also there is an anonymous personage involved in its recent sales.

https://hubstatic.com/14316213_f1024.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/14316214_f1024.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/14316216_f1024.jpg

pisean282311posted 11 years ago

it is obvious that bible is collection of myths and fairy tales...some are copied from others while some are original...at best it can give harry potter a run for money....i guess in 100 yrs down the line it would be taken as literature work than any divine work...einstein was right in this...it is primitive , though creative in parts attempt of semi literate people who barely could make sense of their world...we must respect their attempt but taking their attempt to answer to question seriously would be too naive thing to do...it is really great that bible doesnot run world any more or else we would still be in middle ages...

3. jacharless profile image76
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

And he, as well as many others, share this common belief. "God" is not something/someone who would appear on a snowy white cloud, with thunder in his hands nor reaching down with a finger to touch the finger of Moses. Every Hebrew knows g/God is a term used to replace a mental, emotional and spiritual ineptness of understanding the Ineffable Everything that is everywhere, in everything -including//especially humans. The word/term g/God or g/G-d is redundancy. And to many others that word is a complete bastardization of said Ineffable. In others words: disrespectful.And once more his elegance and respect for the compilation of texts. He did not "dis" the text. He simply makes it clear that text is fruitless to bring about the aforementioned understanding. It is a primitive approach to wisdom to engaging the universe, creation.Nothing to disagree with. He summarizes his personal belief on the text, yet still respects what is it and those who rely on it.

So, let's call the spade a spade. If Einstein, a brilliant man, thinker, human of humans respects others beliefs, regardless of personal perspective, Marcus (et alii), why can you not do the same -should you hold this man and his words in any certain degree of high regard? Have you nothing better to do with your limited choice of life-death then "put it in the face" of another why you do/do not prefer another's ideas? Then the audacity to crow: "No wonder why your religion causes fights, conflicts, wars" -yet you yourself cannot//nor make a genuine effort to stop one fight, one conflict, one war...

Shakes head. Silly atheist/theist, humanism is for chumps. ha!
    James.

EDIT: 11.28  Interesting thread though. And am now over it. Looks like someone else beat you to the $3million dollar payout. Enjoy your conflict. {LAWL?}

Product of human weakness.
      Primitive.
      Pretty childish.

Interesting definition of "respect." No wonder your religion causes so many conflicts. Sorry - you don't get a free pass from me Jim Bob.

I am still thinking the adulterated version will be back out in a few years.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I think it is sad that people want to use Einstein's opinions to prop up their own. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Einstein, but his opinion on religion is about as interesting and informed as would be the Dali Lama attempting to teach a class in string theory. Who cares? And why?

You said what I have been trying to say, just much better! smile +1

Interesting that you are not interested in what one of the foremost thinkers of our time has to say about your religion. How funny that you keep coming back to say so. The fact is - no one is more qualified than anyone else to have an opinion in this area. You are no more qualified than I for example. And Emily attacks anything she doesn't understand.

But Einstein was a great thinker who clearly gave this some thought.

"Childish," was his respectful opinion. wink

I concur.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny how you belittle the things you don't understand, by accusing others of attacking. The hypocrisy abounds.

The point isn't that Einstein's opinion didn't count. It is that Einstein's opinion should carry no more weight than yours.  By giving it so much weight, you allow your religion to create conflict. In yourself and your relationship with others.

Perhaps you could explain what you think you understand that I do not?

I was merely pointing out that Einstein's opinion in writing sold for more than 3 million dollars - which is rather interesting.  And certainly lends credence to the fact that some one gives it weight. wink Sorry you didn't get that and needed to belittle me as usual.

It is odd - I have never seen you do anything other than contradict and attack others. Why is that?

Troll much? wink

1. profile image0

Unlike yourself, I don't consider an opposing opinion evidence of trolling. It's a pity that you fear diversity.

And, my original post was merely that it was sad that anyone needed to lend credence to the opinion of anyone, who is a lay person on a subject, in the neighborhood of three million dollars. Sorry this offends you.

Stop searching for conflict Mr. Knowles. It's very unhealthy.

Silly - there is nothing other than lay opinions on this subject. You are not offering an opposing opinion. You are attempting to start an argument with me as usual.

Still didn't tell me what it is that you understand that you think I do not.

Troll much? wink

1. profile image0

Your perception is skewed. As appears to be the norm. I offered an opinion. You see it as being argumentative. I see it as a different opinion. I prefer opposing opinions to droll and regurgitative agreement. We aren't simpatico. How sad.

Let's be friends. smile

Rah Rah siss boom bah!!! Go Mr Knowles! Go! Whatever you say is great!

Is that along the lines of posts you are looking for?

No - my perception is not skewed. Your opinion was that "I think it is sad that people want to use Einstein's opinions to prop up their own." lol

This is not offering an alternative opinion - it is a direct statement regarding me personally. It is troll behavior.

5. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

I sort of wonder how many of the folks participating in this thread have actually read the entire excerpt.  I mention this because there is a portion of it that says far more about Einstein than even the beginning where he expresses his disdain for the monotheistic religions of Judaism and Christianity.  Rather than getting angry, defensive, or becoming disappointed with the brilliant man, try paying attention to the advice he gives toward the end of the excerpt.

How about this for example:  "Now that I have quite openly stated our differences in intellectual convictions it is still clear to me that we are quite close to each other in essential things, i.e; in our evaluations of human behavior. What separates us are only intellectual ‘props’ and ‘rationalization’ in Freud’s language. Therefore I think that we would understand each other quite well if we talked about concrete things."

I noticed in this thread that the first thing most folks tried to do was to debunk the opening paragraphs.  It can't be done.  He didn't stutter.  It didn't appear to me that Einstein wasn't quite sure about what he meant to say.  He left NO room for interpretation.

Thankfully, he left no room for interpretation toward the e.nd, either.  Right there is the answer.  Talk about concrete things.  Understand that there will be things on which we agree. 

So many of us get so annoyed with each other in these forums...but when we set aside the battle gear and talk about concrete things...wow.  Things can really happen.

Think about it.

smile

Thinking.

Concrete things. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)