Do you think churches should morally help those that come to them no matter fait

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (18 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

Do you think churches should morally help those that come to them no matter faith?

I met a lady in one of my atheist groups that had been laid off from her job and was on the verge of having her water turned off. As a last option after checking with other local groups who were out of funds she went to a local "Mega" church. The kind that takes up several acres and has thousands of members. They agreed to help her and were filling out the paper work when they asked her what church she attended. When she told them she was atheist they changed their mind and sent her away with no help. I know this is their money and they can do what they want, but should they have helped?

2. EinderDarkwolf profile image59
    EinderDarkwolfposted 12 years ago

Morally speaking, I think they should have. However, I know that many Churches refuse to help anyone who isn't Christian. Just as missionaries refuse to help others unless they agree to convert. Yet they say they aren't forcing their faith on others and always attempt to take the morally high ground. It's unfortunate that people without religion tend to have better morals.

3. Fuller-Life profile image72
    Fuller-Lifeposted 12 years ago

YES! The purpose of the church is to witness to those who are not of the same faith.  It is unfortunate that they missed an opportunity to be like Jesus. Sharing the Love of God does not come with conditions. Whether someone is atheist or not, should not be the basis for which your help is rendered. If Jesus and the old followers of Christ had behaved in this manner, we all would not have had the opportunity to call ourselves Christian. We are today Christians, because they reached out to us who where not of the same faith. Morally or not.

4. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Ask yourself, if such a one came to Jesus, would he have turned them away? If you believe that he would not have turned them away, then don't turn away from them. You may be the instrument of that person finding God through Jesus. Sounds like what he might have taught.smile

5. MarleneB profile image90
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

I use to be a member of a mega church. Although I was very active in the church, leading ministries, and such, I found the mega church to be more concerned with "rules and regulations" than just plain helping people. If a person did not subscribe to the mega church's belief, that person would simply be turned away. I witnessed desperate people being denied the things they needed (food, clothing, shelter) simply because they did not attend church regularly. I reached out and tried to help as much as I could and when the church leaders discovered that I was helping these folks, I was chastised and told to stop doing it.
    Mega churches, simply because of their massiveness are pillars of the community. I believe they are obligated to serve the community, especially since they are typically nondenominational. I believe the church should help people, no matter what the person's belief is. To me, it is a matter of acting in kindness and compassion and not judging a person for what they believe. Certainly, I don't think the church should entertain evil people. That would simply be blasphemous. And, being atheist does not mean that a person succumbs to evil, it just means they have not been convinced that God, as Christians believe, exists. Am I right?
    So, yes; to answer the question, I believe churches have a moral obligation to help those that come to them no matter what faith they are.

6. blessedp profile image81
    blessedpposted 12 years ago

Yes! We are the body of Christ and as followers of His we should display His characteristics in our daily walk with Him.  Christ doesn't look on churches and religion He looks on the individual and his needs.  When He was on earth He healed everyone who had a need and came to him no matter what church they belonged to.  That church was so wrong in not helping that woman in need maybe; if they did, they could minister to her and even changed her from her Atheist way.

If we are living by the way of Christ through the Holy Bible then we would not fall by worldly actions as of that displayed by that church.

7. jamz mitchell profile image62
    jamz mitchellposted 12 years ago

Two things stand out in this question, why would and atheist use money that is used to promote God's work?  Secondly, I am not sure we can say the "church" sent her a way, I really believe it was the "jugdement" of that person that rejected her!

The church is a place of refuge, a place for all that need salvation and if a church has the ability to help, regardless of faith, they should help!

The church must meet people where they are even in the mist of their unbelief! however, I am not sure she was "atheist" if she was willing to rely on any church for help! for that reason I would help her!

1. A Thousand Words profile image68
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Desperate people won't avoid a church because they're atheist. You act as though atheist people are allergic to religious folk. She went to them because it was obvious with all their grandeur that they had money.

8. luckykarma profile image60
    luckykarmaposted 12 years ago

They weren't Christians then, God never turned anyone away, they only wanted to keep the money for their "own kind" which is hypocritical.

Yes, they should have helped her as there is no discrimination in the eyes of the Lord.

9. profile image0
    bmcoll3278posted 12 years ago

Yes I was taught that we should help who needs it and let God do the judging .

10. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

Yes, indeed! Shame on the church in your example. What if Jesus came to us in the guise of a homeless man, an atheist, a felon, or a disagreeable sort with no means and signs of mental illness? Would He be turned away by the very ones who claim to follow Him?  As I've said before, bloated religious institutions have lost the way and do more against God than for Him!

11. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

"No matter the demonination"...................yes, I do think this is the heart of the Christian church..............( the Jews  have Syangouges, the Muslims have Temples ) ( correct my spelling if you must.........but, get my drift....................."Church" belongs to the Christian faith.............yes, it is our collective calling and charge to render aid and assistance........no matter whom might be in need of it...........some folks, call it charity,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.I for one, see, why that might obligate others......

After 1,2,3,4,8.43............missteps.........even the Christian Church, has to ask.........

What have I failed to do, or What more can I do?............If the answer is nothing.........then it is nothing.

WE, are not ever obligated to take the blame for the missteps of another,especially those, who seek only to use our resources and make no honest attempt to produce any worthwhile investment.

12. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

I have been a member of a Baptist Church. I converted to Catholicism 24 years ago. I use to live next door to an Episcopal Church. I never knew of any of those churches refusing to help the needy. They have guidelines. Few churches hand out money. They give vouchers to buy food, gasoline or to pay the utility bill. Sometimes, a person from a church office will take a person out and buy them a meal and maybe a bus ticket. Most churches, I believe, want to make sure that money is not used for liquor or drugs. The churches will also direct the homeless to shelters. They seek help for battered women. I have never heard of a case where a person was asked his religion or even if he was a believer. Churches just help the needy. Because of their size, some churches can do more than others, and repeat visitors may be placed under a little more scrutiny, but I doubt if anyone is ever turned away.

1. A Thousand Words profile image68
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is ignorance from lack of experience. Many churches with do this, as there are some that perpetually regurgitate highly judgmental mannerisms and habits.

13. profile image0
    Hubert Williamsposted 12 years ago

You have asked a great question. And an important one. Jesus never sent anyone away. He welcomed everyone, even his tormenters. On the mount he didn't let people go hungry he fed them all. Believers, nonbelievers even people who had come just to see if Jesus was going to be arrested were fed. A church should never send a hungry person away in the name of Jesus or God. Because neither one of them would send them away.

14. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 12 years ago

Sounds to me like she "called their bluff"... and, in doing so, that "church" revealed itself for just what it is.....  Pity.......

15. profile image49
    susan59posted 11 years ago

I have always believed that the one place you could go for help would be the church. After my experience I am not too sure anymore. I belonged to a large church who I knew had thousands and thousands of dollars taken in on offerings and tithes each week. I volunteered every week on Sunday during one of the three services as well as Wednesday night. I am a widow with a young son doing everything I can to make it and one month I found myself in a bind needing help with a utility bill. My son seeing my panic told me that I needed to humble myself and ask for help. So I did. I contacted my churches office and was told, "sorry we have helped all the people we are gonna help this month.' I was in shock. I mean I didn't ask for a handout but rather for a loan of sorts. I have a very hard time asking for help, always believing that I could do it on my own since my husband died.   I have sat and listened to the pastor quote the passage, "and you shall receive..." I know for a fact that this church takes in on average 10 thousand a week and they couldn't help out one of their own members? 
    I learned that day that they did not care about the hurt and pain of those in need not even it's members but only the money that they took in that week. I lost a lot of faith that day. Not in God but in organized religion as a whole. I have always believed we are our brothers keeper and will always believe that. It is disheartening to find out that the church doesn't.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am truly sorry for your experience. There is neer shame in asking and it is sad that a church would refuse to help one of their own members no matter how many others had been helped that month.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)