jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)

Desiderata

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I just felt like posting this...

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Excellent premise and a great way to commence the New Year.

2. phdast7 profile image84
      phdast7posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Just as meaningful and beautiful now as it has always been.   Thanks for sharing this with us.   Blessings.

paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is amazing how so few words can encompass so much. smile

2. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Cool.... do you have Johnathan Livingston Seagull as well??  smile

I used to teach orphaned Albatross chicks that one... it saved me from donning my wings and beak, and weeks of following sailors!  big_smile

1. tirelesstraveler profile image85
      tirelesstravelerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sweet

3. rmcrayne profile image94
    rmcrayneposted 4 years ago

What a blast from the past.  My 8th grade English class had to memorize this.  We were given fair warning at the beginning of school that we would have to recite the Desiderata from memory at the end of the year.  Kinda wasted on 8th graders though.

4. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 4 years ago

What a beautiful post! Who wrote that?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
      Victoria Lynnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I found this: Desiderata (Latin: "desired things") is a 1927 prose poem by American writer Max Ehrmann (1872–1945).[

I've never heard of him. It said he wasn't well-known in his lifetime. Figures. Maybe we'll all be world-famous authors after we're gone. :-)

1. snakeslane profile image80
        snakeslaneposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --
        Not "Found in Old St. Paul's Church in 1692"

Oh that's right. There was some confusion about the origin of the poem, I remember . But the copy I had was cited as being found in Old St Paul's Church in 1692, author unknown. I'm not sure if I still have that copy.

5. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 4 years ago

Nice post paradigmsearch. Happy New Year everyone! (Victoria I think the author is unknown)

I thought I was already following you. Fixed that. smile

1. MrHunter profile image61
        MrHunterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I just felt like responding. Its timeless, and makes you want to do the good things. thanx . .

2. snakeslane profile image80
        snakeslaneposted 4 years agoin reply to this

smile

6. Deborah Demander profile image90
    Deborah Demanderposted 4 years ago

Thanks for posting this beautiful peace. (Piece). I like the idea of memorizing it. I have, over the years, memorized a multitude of bible verses and various other lines from texts of perennial wisdom, but this is so beautiful. It encompasses the rich depth our lives could be.
    Namaste

1. profile image69
      logic,commonsenseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is much easier to live it than memorize it.  It suggests that the strong in spirit and confidence will thrive and the weak and self doubting will not.

7. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Happy New Year, paradigm. Thank you for adding this post to the 2013 atmosphere of Hubberville.  I recall a beautifully framed copy hanging in the waiting room at my old job. By the way, I like you better green wink

My copy is 30 years old. smile

Darn, as to the green, I thought my latest was an advancement. I love my new blue. I think it has style! I've been plastering it all over the place. lol

8. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

It was also made into a song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UEkzFQRS0

I've got messed up video. You better be real.smile
      bumped.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I remember that when it was a song! What lovely thoughts to bring in the New Year with us! Thanks paradigmsearch. All the best in the New Year.

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

I love the words to this - but I am also fond of Deteriorata, which was a take-off on the original back in the old Hippie Days.  Has a similar tone, but the phrases are hilarious - stuff like, 'Rotate your tires."

Sorry - I just can't see the beloved Desiderata without thinking of that one!

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93

LOL!  Been right here, all along - but not on the site much in the past few weeks.  Had end-of-term finals and papers to grade, grades to submit, and oh yeah - minor stuff like Christmas . . .

It was all great, but I'm glad for the break now!

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93

Wow - classic clip of Elton John!  You made my day - I love that song, and the full orchestra was amazing.  He's showing his age a bit (voice changed somewhat), but that song will live forever.

Thanks for posting!

Been no earthquakes recently. big_smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So glad!  That little quake-storm was a bit scary (you know - San Andreas Fault Folklore, 2012, and all).

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93

Deteriorata - the National Lampoon clip:

(PD - was this what you meant to post?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6ugTmCYMk

Not sure this, another time...

working