Am I just a bad guy to wish atheist peace and love? Am I just a dog.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image49
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I love these guys. I do not want to convert them. I want to hang out with them. Engineers and technicians and scientists are cool. I have degrees in strange areas and I like it.
    But woolly bully I ended up a preacher man. I know my geology and botany and a good bit about medicine and mathematics. I am competent in Latin and I know the difference between a oscilloscope and  a CT Scan. I get the difference between a molecule and a neuron. And my daddy was a doctor and momma a hospital admin. We did not get "Jesus loves" magazines we got popular mechanics and the New England Journal of Medicine that we were expected to learn and discuss at dinner.

But I got from all that that love is what makes the world turn. Both my daddy and my mommy loved it and later on in life came to me about issues. But 3 of my siblings hate me for it.

So my question is this: If I wish somebody love, do I hurt them?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lets form a club, Eric, for all those that love regardless of the differences.

I'm the black sheep of my family; all my siblings and parent are very strong believers.  Even the large majority of my extended family - aunts and uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews - are predominately Christian with a very small number of other believers thrown in.  Very few are atheists, but I love them all.  They are the finest people I know.

I hope I'm not hurting with my love...

Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Buddy  wilderness. Done deal. Let us just gobble them up with love. I just like get from you man. You make me feel the love. Shut up Eric and leave at that!

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely nothing wrong with loving them.   Not only do we love them as humans,  we're commanded by the Lord to Love them.
      But if you're a preacher and you don't warn them about the wages of sin when the opportunity comes,  then you're omitting part of the message.   A Christian does want to convert them,  to see them born again in Christ.

We all have our calling. What is yours?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's your answer, Eric. A resounding, yes.

3. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brenda here thinks your a dog if you don't try to convert us, but I disagree.

1. profile image0
          Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with your assessment here, Rad. I don't think she is saying Eric is a Dog. It appears that her comments imply more that he isn't fully Christian if he isn't trying to convert people to Christianity.

1. profile image0

His original question was am I a dog for not preaching to atheists. Her response was that he has an obligation as a preacher to convert which is a yes to the question.

1. profile image0

I see your point..

2. Ericdierker profile image49

Now I see your logic Rad Man. thanks for elaborating. Oh well bow wow

1. profile image0

I love dogs. They don't care what you look like or what kind of car you drive, they love you for you and the things we do for them. All they really want to do is be with us.

Be the dog man, be the dog.

I had to go put on my Big Dog Tee-Shirt.

In the nineties I was a brother in the Order of St. Lukes. That is a interdenominational International healing ministry. Named after Luke the physician who was little more than an alchemist. I caught my self saying to someone, "if you were a good Christian you would......" So I get the idea, but to me it is wrong. I am glad I am over it.

1. profile image0

That is awesome that you were able to free yourself from that type of thinking

3. christopheranton profile image65
      christopherantonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've always felt that we should love everyone and that it makes sense to do so, not only from a religious point of view but for the benefit of our own wellbeing and blood pressure as well. It's a lot less wearing to be loving than to be consumed with hate. Most of the time, however, my loving is purely academic. There are still plenty of people who annoy me and I annoy them. It's important to separate "love"from "like". That's the difficult one though.

Chris I really pay attention to that difference between like and love.

There is an old saying; Fake it until you make it. Sometimes that is the best I can do.

4. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on this Eric. I think the Father loves them too.

1. profile image0

You think?

Hey Rad Man. Just assume we make up God completely without proof or reason. If we do that shouldn't we imagine He loves us? Happy Sunday!!

1. profile image0

Of course, imagine away, if it makes you a better person go with it, but what he said was "I think the Father loves them too" which implies God loves believers and may EVEN love them, but I'm not sure.

I have to say though if you've lost your relationship with your sibling you are doing something wrong. You can most likely get it back by apologizing for preaching to them and never do it again. I'm surrounded by Christians and most of my friends don't know I'm an Atheist because they don't need to know. Give those who don't want to be preached to respect and develop a secular side so you can relate to them.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
              Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok Radman. I believe he loves them too. I cannot say I know because then I get asked how can I know when nobody knows if God exists. So we get distracted by that old argument.

Rad man, that is great advice. I take it to heart.

5. donotfear profile image82
      donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Noooo!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-49fzMNT77us/TYp8brZGIII/AAAAAAAABks/WJzgzWfhddw/s1600/warm-fuzzies.jpg

Making me smile, thank you

6. SwordofManticorE profile image70
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eric, from one dog to another, love is a beautiful seed that grows into a fruit tree to feed all who hunger. I believe that those who deserve love the least (according to some who have trouble forgiving), need it the most.

2. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

No, you're not a dog.

It's great to just love people no matter what.

janesix, stay on my back watch me and make me stay true to love. When I waver take you fist and smack me hard.
      Let us live well and prosper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otXGqU4LBEI

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh my:) I'm not into that

Oh my -- is right! Too funny

3. peeples profile image90
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Oh my I hope you aren't a dog for loving us all anyway. My hubby is a believer and he loves me no matter what I fail to believe. Would that make him a dog? I guess to a few it might, but to me it takes an extra special person to appreciate differences.It doesn't hurt us! It makes us stronger because in exchange we get to appreciate the differences we share also! Sometimes I wish dogs were people. They are far better in so many ways than we are!

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Eric, of course we are supposed to love everyone. One of my closest friends is a bi-sexual, 20 something, black man. As a matter of fact I don't actually have any friends that are Christians at this point in my life... they are all... pretty much non-church goers, for lack of a better term. I am grateful for all of them.  I pray for them, they don't need to know that, but I do cause I love them. Do I preach at them? Never. Do I want to convert them? Huh... I'd like to see them saved. Does that make me a bad guy cause I want to see them in Heaven? I hope not, but I do always want to live by this verse: "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..." I Pet 3:15

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Only when you already know folks don't want you or anyone else to save them because YOU want to see them in heaven. That is a purely selfish act and has nothing to do with loving anyone but yourself.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes of course. What was I thinking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)