future of Religion ?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (44 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8261864_f248.jpg
    In YOUR estimation, how will religion evolve in the next 50 to 100 years? Will religion as we know it completely disappear? Will the NONES (people who have no religious denomination) increase? Will spirituality take the place of religion?  Will religion evolve into a new form?

1. SpanStar profile image62
      SpanStarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe in the future there will be pockets of people who have religious beliefs but overall I believe the road of mankind is walking is filled with hate, distrust, and we have become self-centered. Just like the Romans were mandated to put down the Christians I see a revisiting of that strategy so I believe those who are of faith base will eventually move out of the public view.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's odd, the Romans haven't been ruling these past many centuries, you Christians have been ruling much of the world, which could be why "mankind is walking is filled with hate, distrust, and we have become self-centered." 

Maybe that was a really bad move to begin with... smile

1. SpanStar profile image62
          SpanStarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seeing how some nonbelievers have been strutting around like peacocks but I see no evidence of them bringing harmony and peace to the planet. With all their chest pounding and military weaponry I see no diminished capacity of murdering and killing by these faithless groups.

The believer, whose religions are at stake here, are forced to fabricate lies in favor of defending their ancient myths and superstitions, which without, might leave them stranded in the middle of nowhere since they haven't spent the time to learn anything about the world around them and have only wallowed in selfish denial.

This kind of behavior will be a welcome sight to see going the way of the dodo.

2. Zelkiiro profile image89
            Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Funny. Last I checked, it's always religious zealots (and the occasional egomaniacal warlord) who start the most gruesome and bloodiest wars, not to mention wreak terror at home.

The Crusades, anyone? The Inquisitions? Holy wars? Witch-burnings? The rack? Hot pokers in the eye sockets? Castrations? Each and every single one representing merely a fraction of the peaceful Christian religion alone, and that's not even touching the mind-boggling atrocities committed by Judaism and Islam.

2. profile image0
        riddle666posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Naturally, as education progresses ignorance will recede from public view.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

It would certainly appear Christianity has become increasingly irrelevant and will probably become a well known myth in the next few hundred years, with Islam and Judaism following close behind.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As people become more educated, evolved, and enlightened, they will see how atavistic organized religions are.  They will discard such artificiality and evolve into true spirituality without the confines of religion.

3. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is and has always been one God. However, there are thousandssss of concepts as to who or what this God is. Just because we can not comprehend who or what something is does not mean it does not exist.

people can not all agree as to what exist means, SOoo how do we expect to agree on much else.    No matter what kind of statement is made ...  someone is going to argue with it! 
      Yin can not exist without yang. ... Where would Zig be without Zag?

1. profile image0

What is that?

So what do you mean by "god"? Or are you saying that you do not know what it is that you say exist but simply making an assertion, to go with the flow?

1. Jerami profile image58

Is that a question in responce to my question (?) or is it an answer?
          people can not all agree as to what exist means, SOoo how do we expect to agree on much else.    No matter what kind of statement is made ...  someone is going to argue with it! 
          Yin can not exist without yang. ... Where would Zig be without Zag?
          or are you just argueing with a statement that you do not understand ... cause I don't understand your answer (or is that a question?

1. profile image0

It's very simple, What do "you" mean by "god " and "exist" [Let us forget about others]? You should mean something, em!!??
            "Yin can not exist without yang"
            What is that?

As I said in the other post ... "No matter what kind of statement is made ...  someone is going to argue with it!"     It seems to be our nature just as it is their nature when two goats are standing in the pasture, they are going to butt heads.  It doesn't matter the subject matter, any time a statement is made; someone is going to want to butt heads.     yin (goat # 1) and Yang (goat # 2)  require the other in order to remain within their own nature.

Though we may blame anything for it, It is this basic nature which causes all the conflict in this world. 
              it is oposition between positive and negative forces which causes an electric motor to turn as it is also what makes the world and everything in it to turn.

That is baloney, Jerami. The conflict comes when believers tell us what we are supposed to believe and how we are supposed to behave, even when they themselves never follow their own demands.

2. profile image0

So you do not know what you mean when you say "god exists" but is simply parroting your priest or is rambling?

So you do not know what you mean when you say "god exists" but is simply parroting your priest or is rambling?
                       I've seen long arguements as to what "exist" means. SOoo  I'm not going to do that again. I know how I feel about the meaning of exist. I don't know how you feel about it, No matter how you try to explain what you think, everyone else can only speculate as to what you mean (as it relates th them).  And surely someone is going to argue with how you expressed yourself.   As my first post indicated.

If something IS, does that mean that it exists?  Not necessarily.  yes and No!  Kinda sorta.   Yep ..but !
                  No matter what anyone says ...  somebody is going to disagree!

1. profile image0

I was asking about "god", your meaning of god [as you rightly said it is different for different person].
                    So you do not know what 'exist' is, but is using it?
                    For exist, this might help, if you have the willingness to use your intelligence
                    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/exist

2. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

I have always believed organized religion causes much more harm than good. My hope for humanity is that as the years pass more and more people will begin to use their brains instead of a book to tell them what is good and what is bad. I think it is wonderful for people to have their own journeys that lead them to what makes them happy. However I think forcing it on children and others should never happen. So my hope is that in the future people will stop trying to force their own journey on others. I think this is already starting. More and more people are questioning what they were taught as a child. More and more people are growing to accept those that aren't just like them. It will be a wonderful day when religion no longer has any say in any government, sadly I am not sure that day will ever come.

3. Nicholas Fiorito profile image69
    Nicholas Fioritoposted 10 years ago

I personally believe there will always be organized religion, because it is a useful instrument to control people, and hey, honestly, some people want to just follow something.  It gives them comfort or allows them not to grapple with significant existential issues (death, the existence of suffering, the purpose of life, etc.).

That being said, I also believe people will continue to be interested in the "spiritual" dimension of life and we will increasingly see the growth of the "spiritual but not religious" and other forms of inclusive, new religions, or traditional religions adopting a lighter attitude towards dogma and belief.  I think this perspective will take into account information from science, and particularly quantum physics, in attempts to create a kind of "unified theory of spirituality," one which can be expressed in various traditions and their theological language.  However, as I stated in the paragraph above, I think this will be contested by those who will cling to more "conservative" views.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 10 years ago

The future of religion?

Probably will wind up the same way as astrology, a quarter page of mindless entertainment in a newspaper.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)