My Heroes: The Teachers of America

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image81
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

Teachers are people who sometimes spend more time with children than their parents either because of work-related issues or other situations. The impact of a teacher on a student can mean the difference between reinforced moral fiber and disillusion and self-hatred. The influence of a teacher on students can never be minimized. They are the heroes of the classrooms both juvenile and adult! Anyone can give advice but only those who have a genuine love of others can be called A Teacher! The Greatest teacher of all was Jesus!

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with everything you said. I think all teachers deserve more recognition than they're given.

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe that instead of pointing fingers at what they don't do we should find ways of helping them to succeed.

1. profile image0
          sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very true. I think most of the time people blame the teachers, the teachers at first look like they're not teaching, but they can only work with the supplies and time they're given by the school boards.

Yes, this is true. A lot of teachers, however including me have spent not only numerous hours but also finances to make the learning experience better for their students. Although I taught young adults, I used many hours creating an environment for my students and when educational resources are short; many parents are happy to contribute time and money for the benefit for their offspring! I loved teaching and any sacrifice for the sake of my students wasn't bad. They always rewarded me with their acknowledgements of appreciation. Teachers are jewels!

2. profile image0
    cjnileskiposted 9 years ago

I agree that a teacher can make a great impact on some ones life.  If every one tries to help at least one kid like the techers do, might make the world a better place.

Absolutely true. Many tragedies could be avoided among young people if only someone took the time to notice deviate behavior and talk it out with that youth. In stead of condemning them, listen to them. Most teacher make great listeners. It's just that it's generally only one of them and as many as 30 students. Teachers need our help.

1. frantisek78 profile image79
        frantisek78posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe parents should be doing that part of the job instead of working so much to pay for the newest TVs and cars and houses. Throwing money at kids is not raising kids. It is the parents' job to raise kids, not a teacher's job.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years ago

My Christian high school had WONDERFUL teachers!  To some students, they were the parents they never had.  We were also very well taught about life.  To this day, I come across people my age, older, and younger who never learned what I had been taught in my Christian high school.  My hub, "The Case For Christian Education", tells about this.
    A lot of people nowadays put down teachers in general and Christian education in particular.  I know the Catholic religion is currently experiencing a nasty scandal, but I don't personally know any Catholics that has happened to, and nothing like that ever happened in my high school.  In fact, one of my former roommates was blasting Christian schools, then realized the Catholic school he had attended had more caring teachers than the public school.

That is an excellent point. My granddaughter went to a Christian School and received excellent care and education. The teachers were caring and their constant concern made learning a wonderful experience. Our teachers do an excellent job given their limited resources. Without them there would be a great deficient in our endeavor to mold young minds. Parents working with our teachers can accomplish much!

4. profile image0
    cjnileskiposted 9 years ago

I agree.  I also agree that Jesus was the greatest teacher of all.  More people need to recognize this.

Yes, He showed us how to both Live and Die with dignity!

5. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

If you love teachers, you will appreciate this "spoken word" poem video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuBmSbiVXo0

2 Thumbs way, way, way up! My thoughts actually! I said it once and I will say it again TEACHERS ROCKS!

6. krantcents profile image61
    krantcentsposted 9 years ago

As a teacher (13 years), I agree! Of equal importance are the child's parents. Parents are role models and should support their child's education. Education provides the skills for succeed in life.

Yes, it is very important that parents and teachers work together.

7. frantisek78 profile image79
    frantisek78posted 9 years ago

Not all teachers are "heroes". There must be plenty of really bad teachers out there too, considering the declining scores of American students on tests. A person shouldn't be respected just because they are a teacher, but because of what kind kind of teacher they are.

8. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

There are probably bad firefighters and soldiers. There is nothing wrong with appreciating a profession and people who work in it.

Thank you ... it's the NEGATIVITY of some people that disturbs me more than anything. If you say the sky is blue ... someone says but sometimes its gray. If you compliment teachers in general because the masses of teachers are great ... then someone comes up with an acidulous rejoinder.

There are always more than one side to things, so there is nothing wrong with pointing out exceptions, whether they be "good" or "bad". The real negativity is when people who have a certain point of view get angry when they are shown a different point of view not in line with their own. Yes, the sky is sometimes grey, sometimes black, sometimes blue. Accepting the fact that it can be all of these colors is more open-minded than blindly insisting everyone should see it as blue and becoming upset when they do not.

There is always a time and a place for everything.

Some people think that there is nothing wrong with a lot of things and that they can sprinkle their opinions like grains of salt regardless of how positive others wish to be. In Biblical Times the Scribes and Others felt it was okay to criticize every positive thing Jesus did.

I try to interject my positive feelings about a profession I feel is wonderful regardless of the negative aspects of it. It is not easy teaching others and at times it can seem fruitless when young lives are taken away. More teachers have become targets of violence in these modern times than ever before. So I will repeat ...

Teachers are MY Heroes!

9. kbrenton profile image58
    kbrentonposted 9 years ago

Hi,
         I think teachers are undervalued and backed into a corner on a lot of issues. They should be our super heroes not dancing celebrities. I have five children and keep telling them if they were not so cute I would find a way to send them back!! (I am going for mother of the year lol). There are many children out there who think they can get away with anything. If I ever heard my children disrespect an adult like I hear every where they know they would be in deep trouble. Teachers need to be given back the control of their class rooms. This may not make me popular but the problems we face today (children, divorce, social depravation and many others) is directly related to the breakdown of the family unit. God had rhyme and reason for how He put it together and we have torn down the walls.  We have lost the head of our families, fathers living the examples of Jesus in the home and mothers are not there for their families. I know I know I know ( I am a single mother) a lot of times it can not be helped, but we are so far from where we should be as a society I fear there is little hope. Just because it is our reality does not mean it is right. God gave us the blueprints and we ignored them. It will be Fathers day soon and a commercial on the radio said give dad the gift of a lap dance. It broke my heart to listen once again how far we have fallen from grace.

Pre-Christian era families seemed to work just fine as well. The Romans and Greeks had strong family ties and they believed in many gods, if they believed in any at all.

10. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Being a teacher is one of those jobs where you'd have to love what you do, because (at least in the US of A) you sure as hell don't get paid anything worth anything to do it.

1. kbrenton profile image58
      kbrentonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

it should be one of the highest paying jobs in the world based on it's importance. Instead money is spent where it is least needed at times. Teachers deserve complete respect for what they do. But yes you should take pride in your profession and do it to the best of your ability. Bad teachers should be removed. good teachers rewarded.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
        Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In a stunning example of art imitating life, it's Mr. DeMartino (a.k.a. the result of low pay for teachers and low standards for students)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Md0bGSrzlw
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37veVK2JjU8

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image81

I don't really consider "bad teachers" as teachers. I consider their only purpose is to make a living not influence a mind. Granted ... it may not be the highest paid profession but even "bad doctors" make a bundle. However, there is still a great impact on the lives of others that both have.

3. frantisek78 profile image79

Perhaps the school districts and colleges and universities are at fault by spending so much money on all-important sports programs and stadiums and the salaries of coaches instead on the quality of education. Some teachers I've seen are less educated than the students they are supposedly meant to be teaching.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)