jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

There was a knock at the door…

1. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 19 months ago

I opened it.

“I want to tell you about God,“ said the evangelical.

“Not interested,” said I. Didn’t even slam it when I closed the door, no point.

The phone rang. I answered it.

“I want to tell you about God,“ said the evangelical.

“Not interested,” said I. Didn’t even slam it when I put the phone down, no point.

Went to the store I did.

“I want to tell you about God,“ said the evangelical at the front door.

“Not interested,” said I as I continued walking.

Sitting at the traffic light on the way home.

Never saw the runaway bus.

“So, let me tell you about myself,” said God.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I'm smiling.

2. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 19 months ago

No chat here?

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 19 months ago in reply to this

So, are you suggesting that there is a god, so interested in someone's agnosticism that he would stage-manage that someone's death, simply for the pleasure of revealing himself to said someone?

I think I prefer a less supernatural world view wink

- D

1. paradigmsearch profile image84
        paradigmsearchposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Or not.

Hey - it is yourself! I answered your post without noticing it was you who had written it! I am almost never here these days. Glad to see you are still writing here.
          Hope all is well
          - Dave (PG)

2. Oztinato profile image83
        Oztinatoposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Because you may not have studied the topic let me tell you that the existential dilemma  (death) we face has so far created human culture on earth including science's desire to know stuff. This means, as many religions claim, that death (THE existential dilemma ) actually has a lot to do with the ultimate answers to life/existence and everything. How? This can be ascertained by individual study and effort but the "dilemma" doesn't respond to ignorant bravado. Therefore the only course is to be humble, say "I don't know" and begin the study just referred to. See how it all works? Existence and death demand humble efforts from the individual. The "I don't know" bit leads to the "I know more" bit just as in science or philosophy / religion.

That was rather patronising, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it as well meant. We're not in the business of verification. Proof of a theory is logically impossible except in tautological fields like arithmetic. However, that which is postulated in a falsifiable (by experiment) hypothesis, and which has not yet been falsified by experimental evidence, might just be true. Belief is unnecessary and usually unhelpful, as it militates against further investigation. We 'should' always be shedding that which has been proven false, and further challenging that which has not. As individuals, we have limited time and limited (and waning) powers to pursue this quest. We also have the choice to be interested in trying to advance our understanding, or to settle into a 'comfortable rut' of hand-me-down culture or religion.
          This is a nice choice to have, as it spawns the whole spectrum from theoretical physicists to football fans. (joke wink

2. Oztinato profile image83
      Oztinatoposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I thought you were a disbeliever? My apologies if I got off on the wrong foot.

3. Live to Learn profile image81
    Live to Learnposted 19 months ago

I thought it was cute.

4. Michaela Osiecki profile image82
    Michaela Osieckiposted 19 months ago

I'd like to offer a different ending:

"You already knew about me," smiled the Goddess.

working