Does anyone here wish to claim they are not a lab rat?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (26 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

I would really like to know.

2. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

I believe we are all apart of the big picture, the great big plan.

1. lovetherain profile image81
      lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes it seems that way

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How can you believe this, colorfulone? Wishful thinking?
      I think I will adopt this belief:

Sounds so simple:

I am part of the big plan.
      I am not a victim of alien set-ups.
      I am not a victim of myself's ego.
      I am part of the (great) big picture.

yeah, right. roll

I feel that if I do not take steps to BE part of the big picture, it will not happen.

And how can we take steps to be part of the big picture if we do not know what the big picture IS?

1. lovetherain profile image81
        lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You don't "take steps" to be a part of the big picture. You 're a part of it, there is no in or out just in.

3. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

Say "Cheese!"

4. Oztinato profile image77
    Oztinatoposted 6 years ago

Yeah me.
    Also I've asked numerous times what you consider a human lab rat to be but there hasn't been any response. I assume you mean we are supposed to be in a dystopian future where there is a huge experiment going on with humans.
    If this is the case then no I'm not a "lab rat".

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

I am a victim of myself. I have done things which were so stupid, so hurtful, so ignorant of what truly bring me, myself happiness. I am not a lab rat for some one else. If anything, I am my own lab rat.
    Rats. sad

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Who has not said this after reaping negative consequences?
    Why did it seem like a good idea at the time?

were we set up by ….
    aliens?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Do lab rats have free will?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Well, leastwise I think so. To a point and within boundaries. The closer we get to the boundaries, the more resistance we encounter.

Meanwhile, I had no idea what to expect when I started this thread. All of the responses here are truly excellent. The forums here have become a lot more saner than they used to be. big_smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

For me, your lab rat theory becomes more interesting to think about as time go on …

If the rats understood that boundaries help them move toward a food supply maybe they wouldn't resist them.

No rat runs a maze for the sheer sake of running the maze. Or do they? What would happen if there was no stimulus for them to go after?

Do they learn from their mistakes?

Do the proceeding generations of maze runners become more adept at getting to the cheese? Is the memory of the course of the maze passed on genetically?

Or does each new generation forge its way in equal ignorance. If so, how could there ever be a rat who is enlightened enough to evolve toward a higher incarnation, say a cat?   neutral

(1870 — Willard S. Small was the first person to use the behavior of rats in mazes as a measure of learning.)

http://www.yorku.ca/christo/podcasts/Small-maze.htm

8. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

The man behind the curtain requests that you, paridigm search, cease and desist.  Or, there will be no cheese for you at the end of the maze.

9. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

I've often wondered why I like cheese so much.

10. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 6 years ago

In what way?

If you’re implying that there’s some greater being that’s watching over us and taking notes on what we’re doing then yes, I would very much like to claim that I’m not a lab rat.

But we kind of are like lab rats in that until we can all get everything right and collect all the information in the world we’re all just living our lives by trial and error and then hopefully everyone after us can learn from what we did right/wrong and be better for it.

Is the one who wears the white lab coat very intrigued with all us rats?
      Probably.

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Of course, lab rats are used for other types of experimentation despite the facts:
    "Mice and rats are mammals with nervous systems similar to our own. It’s no secret that they feel pain, fear, loneliness, and joy just as we do. These highly social animals communicate with each other using high-frequency sounds that are inaudible to the human ear. They become emotionally attached to each other, love their families, and easily bond with human guardians. Male mice woo mates with high-pitched love songs. Infant rats giggle when they are tickled. Not only do rats express empathy when another rat or a human they know is in distress, they also exhibit altruism, putting themselves in harm’s way rather than allowing another living being to suffer.

But even though these animals feel pain and suffer as much as dogs, cats, and rabbits do, they are excluded from the meager federal Animal Welfare Act provisions that extend at least some protection to these other species. Because mice and rats are not protected by the law, experimenters don’t even have to provide them with pain relief …"  sad
    FROM
    https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-use … oratories/

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

You do understand we could talk in person?

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

But only if we meandering feel like it.

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

Forget it, I've gone paranoid. You would have to pay me to see you.

Don't you hate switching from day-light savings time?  I think they just enjoy watching us adjust to it.
      sad

15. paradigmsearch profile image60
  16. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Here are some people attempting to wear lab coats.
    http://www.scag.ca.gov/about/Pages/Home.aspx

17. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"SCAG is now a League of American Bicyclists recognized Bronze Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB℠)!

SCAG joins a cutting-edge group of nearly 1,200 local businesses, government agencies and Fortune 500 companies across the United States that are transforming the American workplace.

Learn more about the League’s Bicycle Friendly Business program at bikeleague.org/business."
    http://bikeleague.org/business

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

Hmm. First, I would have to get a bike.

Second, considering the town I live in, I'd have to figure out how to not get run over or shot within a week.

Third, considering the town I live in, I'd have to figure out how to not have the thing stolen within a week.

Fourth, not so sure it is a good idea for a 67-year-old to be riding a bike in the first place. I've already personally witnessed an old person falling off their bike. It was all over after that: the pain, the ambulance, the broken hip, the botched surgery, the wheel chair.

No, they (SCAG members) want Boomers taking the bus. Actually, I checked all the links about bike manager positions: I couldn't get through to the application sites. I think this program got shut down after Trump was elected. The slow crawl of government takeover has been halted to some extent with Trump in office.

"In 1992, SCAG expanded its governing body, the Executive Committee, to a 70-member Regional Council to help accommodate new responsibilities mandated by the federal and state governments, as well as to provide more broad-based representation of Southern California’s cities and counties."

'Generally, SCAG develops long-range regional transportation plans including sustainable communities strategy and growth forecast components, regional transportation improvement programs, regional housing needs allocations, and a portion of the South Coast Air Quality management plans. SCAG expanded its governing body, the Executive Committee, in 1992 to a 70-member Regional Council to help accommodate new responsibilities mandated by the federal and state governments, as well as to provide more broad-based representation of Southern California’s cities and counties. With its expanded membership structure, SCAG created regional districts to provide for more diverse representation. "

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)