jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do I know if my child is a PRODIGY?

1. MamaDragonfly2677 profile image77
    MamaDragonfly2677posted 9 years ago

How do I know if my child is a PRODIGY?

2. ManiacsRose profile image72
    ManiacsRoseposted 9 years ago

You always hear about the prodigal sons who come back and get accepted no matter what bad deed they had done, because they were that wonderful. Yet, how can you determine whether or not your child is a prodigy?  Prodigy, once I looked it up in the... read more

3. aidenofthetower profile image81
    aidenofthetowerposted 9 years ago

We all want our children to stand out in a crowd and to be special. If we realize what gifts our children are it is likely that we will realize that they are special in their own way, no matter how they compare to other children. But many parents... read more

4. MNichopolis profile image57
    MNichopolisposted 8 years ago

I'm not a concert pianist, or a Olympic swimmer, but a parent at least, and I've had the pleasure of working with some talented people in the past. A couple of questions come to mind:

Do you find yourself asking as many questions as you're giving answers? A sign the student has become the master. Perhaps it's time for an upgraded teacher.

Does the student really enjoy what they're doing, do they do it without encouragement, or pushing? It's not as common for people to excel in fields they don't personally enjoy.

Do others, unsolicited, frequently comment on your childs efforts? Might be time to move to a bigger pond, and see if the work still stands out above the crowd.

Just a couple thoughts. Best wishes.

5. GerrickSteen2012 profile image52
    GerrickSteen2012posted 8 years ago

I know there are probably all kinds of ways to find out, but here are a couple ways to know:

1. IQ tests are NOT the best indicators for prodigy-like giftedness.  What if your child knows how to fix anything about your car, or how to paint glorious scenes from from nature, or can almost talk to your pets, or it least it seems like it since he knows what the pet wants, if it's hurt, and where it is hurt?  These talents cannot be measured by IQ tests.  So you have to find some sort of subjective test.
    2. If your child does something that dazzles your entire community, and it just happen to be a skill of some sort, you are probably safe to say your child is at least gifted in some sort of way.
    3. A good way to know if your child is a prodigy is to talk to an expert in the field.  If your child is "gifted" at painting, get an expert's opinion.  If your child is "gifted" at solving complex mathematical equations, again, get an expert's opinion. Now this may be harder, or even more expensive, be it is very effective.

I hope this helped:)

6. Mega over profile image56
    Mega overposted 5 years ago

Well what I would try is to put some few safe items in front of him or her and let her play with the items then see which one she does the best on. It could be music, art, or even sports.