why are people so gullible ?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (24 posts)
  1. catnip09 profile image60
    catnip09posted 14 years ago

Some people will believe anything; astrology,Religious dogma,Obama's an alien, the moon is made of cheese,Nostradumbass, ghosts, magic crystals, invading Iraq was a good idea, ect.  If anyone tells you they have all the answers, run away from them as fast as you can. Knowone Knows what will happen one minute from now let alone what will happen after death.

2. wotsinaname profile image62
    wotsinanameposted 14 years ago

People are gullible because of their need for acceptance and reasurance.

3. turguman profile image60
    turgumanposted 14 years ago

because lies is much more exciting & people love excitation they don`t wanna search or make sure or findout,they know that truth is not always fun !

4. EdG. profile image60
    EdG.posted 14 years ago

People will believe the most ridiculous things if they find it comforting or it reaffirms their  worldview. No time to analyze facts or evidence, even now that they're available (c'mon people, this isn't the stone age).

5. topgunjager profile image59
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

i think it's because it's in our nature=)

6. DawnnaBee profile image60
    DawnnaBeeposted 14 years ago

It's all in a person's beliefs. Astrology is a very complicated science, & that's just MY opinion. Have your Astrological Chart done by a professional, or go to: www.chartshop.com & do it for FREE~ See if what it says isn't correct. Or learn more about it. As for the fact that people are so gullible, sometimes they're just being sardonic/sarcastic- giving you answers that make YOU think their gullible.. Or they just ARE gullible! [As for me, I've been studying Astrology for over 20 yrs. & it's like Astronomy brought down to earth] & IS mentioned in the Bible also..Next time you feel someone is gullible, try this line on them: "Let's play dumb, you WIN!"    hahahahah! *Dawnna*

7. amitkumarghosh profile image61
    amitkumarghoshposted 14 years ago

Past we know. Present we are living. Future is something that we dont know. Anything that we dont know creates an incongruency or gap. Brain is likely to fill up anything to make some sense than keeping it vague. Most people are happy to fill up the gap with anything to make sense of unknown. Therefore more gullible

8. daudi4jazz profile image61
    daudi4jazzposted 14 years ago

People that are gullible are often to trusting and to weak to realize that they are being manipulated

9. profile image50
    dreams767posted 14 years ago

People are hungry for finding significance.....We have within us a need to be a part of something...to belong.  When something comes along that seems to"feed" that hunger, to make us feel special or part of something bigger than ourselves, we"dig in".  More often than not....we are left unsatisfied.  That is when you have to consider the source.

10. mintinfo profile image65
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

Most people are too lazy to find "truth" for themselves. They are too afraid of being outside the comfort of their peers. But at the same time most people have a certain level of gullibility no matter how knowledgeable they are. It is said that you cannot find something unique unless you are looking for something similar. That is why most discoveries are stumbled upon.

It is ok to take a stand according to your values but maintaining an open mind is the best way to live.

11. shadowdancer profile image58
    shadowdancerposted 14 years ago

People are gullible because they want to believe something and just as my friend mintinfo above stated...people are too lazy to find the truth themselves.  There are way too many people who don't think for themselves.  A great majority just follow or conform to what is popular around them and the saddests part of conformity is that people bend their morals to fit in and completely change who they really are just to be a part of a certain group...never questioning what doesn't sit right or resinate with them.

12. Torch Harrison profile image68
    Torch Harrisonposted 14 years ago

Because people often look for easy answers to questions in their lives...the idea of not knowing an answer is scary for many people.

13. magx01 profile image60
    magx01posted 13 years ago

Education is the thing that rescues us from our superstitious, anthropomorphising, credulous natures.

I think the answer is not enough education, and an education system that doesn't do enough to stymie credulity.

14. BL Tween profile image58
    BL Tweenposted 13 years ago

Perhaps its because there are some people who actually believe that there are people who can be trusted. That not all people are out to take advantage of one another, that there may be some people who care for one another, give of themselves, their time, talents, and money. I think they believe things that are not true for this reason,  they have trusted the untrustworthy.

It is unfortunate that anyone takes advantage of a gullible person especially knowing that they are gullible.

The bottom line is people, some people, gullible people believe that there is still some good in each of us.

I know that the only good thing in me is Jesus! Thank God that He is there! Thank God He changed me, if He could change me, and He did! He can change anybody!!!

15. wachessor profile image60
    wachessorposted 13 years ago

My answer is simple.
    Because people like to hear what they want to hear.

Oh and did you know 'gullible' isn't in Webster's dictionary?

16. bibi16 profile image58
    bibi16posted 13 years ago

Why do some people have no guile? Why do some people have no cunning? BB16

17. Gordon G. profile image61
    Gordon G.posted 13 years ago

People are willing to look past the faults in an argument because they want to believe it so badly. They choose desire over logic.

18. ladyjojo profile image60
    ladyjojoposted 13 years ago

That's when you always have an ear open for gossip from the time the word drops you run with it. I hear something and maybe if i repeat it my most famous line that will follow is "I DON'T KNOW HOW TRUTH IT IS" people lie and make up things so believing everything you here without evidence is not right.

I believe in God and in heaven and hell. But i can't judge a murder when he dies. I don't know whats there last words with God before they die. They could have repented and made it to heaven For God is forgiving and the onliest sin he won't forgive is blashemy of the Holy Ghost. Like what some of the Atheist are famous for.

Catholic believe in purgatory that's rubbish no one can tell you where any soul went to except it's a true prophet or a divine revelation from God. Sometimes by their lifestyle we may lay judgement

19. PR Morgan profile image59
    PR Morganposted 13 years ago

I don't think believing something that isn't proven is gullible.  But if someone believes something with no proof or inner faith, then I guess that would be gullible.  If we don't take the time to think and discern truth from fiction, then we are gullible.  But if someone has faith in something not seen it does not mean they are gullible.

20. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 13 years ago

We're not - Uri Geller really did bend spoons with his mind.

21. Max_Power profile image60
    Max_Powerposted 13 years ago

I think that many of us want to believe that there is something more than this existence. Life can be difficult at times so we look for an escape.
    We are also frightened by disorder, and so seek to create some sort of order or understanding about the unknown. Most of us want to feel that we are safe, and have some control over our destiny.
    As for falling for scams etc, I think people just want to feel happy, and they want it now. They are tempted by the thought of an easier way to get there.
    The irony is that the quickest way to get there is by doing the 'hard yards', instead of trying to avoid them.

22. Mercredi profile image63
    Mercrediposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4869295_f260.jpg

People want to categorize everything and explain the unexplainable with make believe. Uri Gellar did what now, AKA Winston? That happened a long time ago: Way back in the 1970s. I don't believe in anything that happened before 1994. It's better to just get drunk and watch, 'The Never Ending Story.'

23. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

I wrote about this recently - http://hubpages.com/hub/Teach-The-Controversy

24. profile image50
    axilxposted 12 years ago

"no one knows what will happen one minute from now let alone what will happen after death."  That's very true. I have recently 'seemingly' come to think that convictions create convicts. Meaning that one who wants to believe in something can be  vulnerable to  manipulation or be gullible.  Just look at the ' Law of fives' as an example :p

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)