jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe in Purgatory?

1. dumbeth profile image66
    dumbethposted 8 years ago

Do you believe in Purgatory?

2. Lee Boolean profile image56
    Lee Booleanposted 8 years ago

In my opinion, the concept was  probably created to relativize sin... since its a bit hard to sell that someone who merely stole food would have to burn for the same time in the same fire as a murderer... it just did not seem fair. Plus, if you confessed half your sins, or only paid for absolution for half of those, there had to be some sort of scorecard to keep up, churching is hard work.

3. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 8 years ago

No such thing as Purgatory, or Limbo, Only grave, then fire, or Heaven called  Paradise.
    Take your pick

4. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 8 years ago

There is no such thing as a waiting place between death and the ultimate destination of heaven or hell in the Bible, in that we or anyone else can pray us out of that "waiting place".  Look at the rich man in Hades (hell) in Luke 16.  He had no hope of being rescued.  The Bible says in Hebrews 9:27 "It is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment."

The mere idea that man pays for his own sin in any way is anti-biblical.  Jesus paid for our sin in full.  We are either in Him or not.  It is His righteousness that saves us.  By faith in Jesus Christ as payment in full for our sin, our Savior, we do not come into judgment or condemnation, but only gain rewards when we stand before Him.

Romans 8:1 states, "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

Any "religious works" that take the place of the cross are in vain, for it is never to pay for our sins.  He freely forgives us because we do not waver in our faith in what He did for us at Calvary.  It's that simple :-)  God bless you!

5. ms jessica marie profile image74
    ms jessica marieposted 8 years ago

i believe purgatory is not realizing what happened to you, a soul that cannot comprehend its own death.  thats how i have always looked at it

6. RevLady profile image62
    RevLadyposted 8 years ago

No. According to my understanding, their is no such place as purgatory. Catholicism insists there is.

7. yes2truth profile image61
    yes2truthposted 8 years ago

Yes I do, purgatory is reading mainstream Christian Hubs, which I try not to do because they can be very bad for my Spiritual health.

On the other hand their Hubs, at times, can be very funny, such is their nonsensical understanding of the Holy Word of God.

8. omi saide profile image53
    omi saideposted 8 years ago

we are in purgatory here on earth some of us. doing time..thats all within the animal kingdom ( amongst human beings). Spiritual beings in a human existence with less evolved beings( mean spirited, greedy, envious,etc) its difficult.

working