The catholic church condems people at birth? Why do we allow it?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 13 years ago

The catholic church condems people at birth? Why do we allow it?

2. dabeaner profile image60
    dabeanerposted 13 years ago

???  I don't know about that.  Is that the "original sin" bit?  Whatever.  Of the Christian religions, Catholicism is one of the stupidest -- tied with the fundamentalist Protestant bible-thumpers.  Anyway, if one is not a Catholic, so what?  And if one is a Catholic, they deserve whatever mental anguish and misery the Church causes them.

3. eli grey profile image60
    eli greyposted 13 years ago

We humans can lead or follow. When it comes to religion we are all swayed one way or another. I think people allow it because they want somewhere to turn so they turn to the church at whatever price. We could protest this if you would like but imagine the condemnation Christianity would face then. If it were up to me personally,  I'd remove the religion a little bit at a time till it was completely gone.

4. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm not a religious scholar or even someone who goes to church.  I was raised Catholic, though, and because what they tell children about original sin seemed too incomplete to me, I came up with my own interpretation of that:

I've always thought "original sin" is about the fact that children under "the age of reason" are likely to do things that would otherwise be considered unacceptable or sins (hit people, be selfish, take what isn't theirs, bite people, etc,. etc.)   And, I always thought that when parents have their baby baptized and agree to raise the child according to the teachings of the church, that means, "OK - now we know this child will have someone teach him right from wrong, which he wouldn't be taught if he were just allowed to "grow like a weed".  One the child reaches the age of reason he's responsible for his own sins, big and small.  Maybe this in my own interpretation.  Maybe it's not.  I just think it makes sense (as far as sin and religion go).

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

It is not just the Catholic Church that Condemns. When born, it is believed by Christians that we are born with the sin of ADAM, as all of mankind is originated from ADAM and ADAM sinned in the eyes of God.

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

what the heck aree you talking about? we get baptized usually at one month old. the fact our original parent commited the 1st sin Original sin, it's not condemnation just acknowleding it and wiping the slate clean. baptists get baptized too but when they aree older and many other religions too. it's called being born again in Christ- dying to sin and living the new life.

7. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 13 years ago

I want to thank everyone for answering. The Spirit of Life is everything for me. Wakan Tanka guides my path and I am thankful for that.
    Babies for me are a symbol of purity and so adding any sin to a new Life is disgusting, wrong and immoral. So, the Church tells me that I was born in sin and that priests are the ones who can cleanse me through Babtism ... they invented a sickness and made themselves curators and healers ... and some of us have swallowed that pill. A great illusion.
    The Spirit of Life has no sin and anyone who tries to apply any to it is a lethargic and conniving lost soul.

8. Blessitbe profile image59
    Blessitbeposted 13 years ago

The Catholic Church teaches many false doctrines, because they want to control mankind.
    Jesus said, I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matt. 18:3

They brought young children to Jesus, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them and blessed them." Mark 10:13-16

Not all Christians believe in the original sin.

There are alot of people in the world that believe; only what they have been bought up to believe. They won’t hear another side, I consider that closed mind, but I also believe that of the atheist are closed minded as well. I was brought up in the Catholic Church, however I had many questions, and I was told I had too many questions. I do not belong to any church or organization, because I feel we have been miss lead in so many ways, and who is really right or wrong. But I do believe in the lord of lords and the king of kings, because he has personally helped me in my life, and I do believe in his son and in the whole sprit.  Even in the Sumerians race they believe in several Gods, god of water, the god of earth, god of air and ONE above all the others the GOD of HEAVEN. 

Sorry, I answered more than your questions I went a little over board.

9. profile image50
    emenousekposted 13 years ago

This is a very easily made misconception, and I condone you for raising it so that the issue may be better understood. Original sin is often misunderstood as condemnation for a sin that one has not committed.
    Let me offer my understanding of the Catholic Church's teaching. From what I understand, original sin does not refer to a child being born with sin. Rather, it refers to the original sin, that is, the sin of Adam. Adam and Eve were born with a perfect human nature, including immortal bodies. However, by their first sin, that nature changed. As such, they experienced certain evils such as suffering and death. Because each thing inherits its nature from its parent(s) (a flower has the nature of a flower because its parent had the nature of a flower, a person has the nature of a person because its parents had the natures of people), each person inherits this same fallen nature. Thus, while the Church does not condemn you of having committed a sin at birth, it does recognize that the effects of sin are present in your nature at birth (from birth you are able to experience suffering and death).
    Now, you may be asking, where does Baptism come in? I had the same question. I mean, I know many people who have been baptized and yet they still suffer and still die. Again, let me explain my understanding. As I understand it, salvation is directly related to the incarnation (God becoming man in the person of Jesus). When God became man, he took on our human nature fully. Thus, Jesus experienced suffering and also experienced death. By taking on our nature, Jesus united our human nature with his divine nature. In doing so, he did not eliminate our nature, but elevated it. Thus, we do not lose our nature, but rather, we are able to join the divine nature. Thus, we still experience suffering and death (just as Jesus did), but we are also able to participate in the resurrection and everlasting life (just as Jesus did). It is through Baptism that we participate in Christ's death, and thus it is through Baptism that we are cleansed of the eternal effects of the original sin.
    I hope this makes some sense. I do not claim to be any authority on this issue, but if you have further questions, I'd be happy to take a shot at them.

10. Jarn profile image60
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

Freedom of speech, choice, and belief. The Catholic Church has their own beliefs, and while I consider myself a Catholic I certainly disagree with many points of their doctrine. So, the Church is free to have their own beliefs, you're free to have yours, and I'm free to have mine. While we may not agree, we recognize each other's right to our individual beliefs and work to coexist as best we can. Wonderful, isn't it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)