jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Jesus said the only reason a woman may divorce is for adultery. If a woman divor

1. terced ojos profile image65
    terced ojosposted 8 years ago

Jesus said the only reason a woman may divorce is for adultery. If a woman divorces her husband for

physically abusing her is she committing a sin?

2. coneybridget profile image53
    coneybridgetposted 8 years ago

I will say no, in this day age the Lord himself gave you five senses use it......like she will when she leaves your azz.

3. Lisa HW profile image76
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I'm not "big" on The Bible, myself; but the way I see it is this:  People who want to follow The Ten Commandments often say that things like drinking and smoking are a "sin" because they can harm the body (and other people as well).   From what I understand, that falls under "Thou shalt not kill."

Reason would tell me that a woman who remains where she is being harmed could be said to be going against the "Thou shalt not kill" commandment; and even empowering her abusive husband in going against that commandment as well.

Jesus or no Jesus, I say it's more of a sin to stay than to leave and divorce.   And that's not even saying anything about the fact that the abusive husband broke his marriage vow to love, honor, and cherish his wife.

4. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 8 years ago

It says for man or woman the only reason is for fornication (Illicit intercourse) Adultery can be lust in the heart so it is distinguished by saying fornication. Matthew 5:27-33, Matt. 19:9
    Sin is a lack of faith. But yes, divorcing for any other reason is breaking God's laws (words) That's why we must make our choice of who we marry with great care. 1 Corinthians 7:9-15