Do you believe in divorce and re-marriage?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. blessedp profile image80
    blessedpposted 11 years ago

Do you believe in divorce and re-marriage?

The bible tells us that, What God has joined together let no man put asunder.  Whosoever putteth away his wife and marry another commit adultery, and if anybody marry her also commit adultery. What say you?

2. Game Flex profile image61
    Game Flexposted 11 years ago

Personally I see marrage as a binding action, a promise or contract if you will. Once you sign or commit yourself to your partner nothing should be able to break this bind, doing so may not be illegal in the eyes of the law but it sure is in the eyes of God.

blessedpposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then do you think persons who are involved in divorce and remarriage commit an adultery and is constantly involved in the act has long as they are sleeping together.

2. MickS profile image61
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty boring isn't it?  There's no point in getting into bed with someone if all you're going to do is sleep.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I see no issue with it! I think that sometimes there are no other options but divorce and those people should not be stuck being single forever. As an atheist I struggle to see how people want to believe in something that would expect a person to be alone forever because of a divorce.

Thank you for your opinion. I see where you say your an atheist so you wouldn't really see anything wrong with that.  But for Christians it is different as we follow and believe the teachings of Jesus Christ in the Holy Bible.

2. blessedp profile image80

Sorry peeples i accidentally delete your comment. Please repost so I can comment.

3. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Overall I find it heartbreaking and sad that anyone would find it wrong or choose to believe a woman who has been abused by her husband shouldn't be able to remarry. Why cause her more misery in her life?

4. blessedp profile image80

I accept your veiws and as I said before I am not saying one should stay in an abusive relationship.

4. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Well it happens, so I have to believe it exists.

5. blessedp profile image80
    blessedpposted 11 years ago

@Peeples don't get me wrong I am not saying one should stay in an abusive marriage.  My question is directed on beliefs as the bible states about divorce and remarriage so can we stay on that path..

1. Catherine Kane profile image82
      Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As question is, that's a part of the answer.
      Since I know God loves us and wants us to be happy, I can't see Him wanting us to stay in an unhappy marriage. At that point, I'd question if that marriage was truly put together by Him

6. profile image0
    Gusserposted 11 years ago

Divorce is allowed due to adultery. Couples that can't get along can seperate. One of them will then find another mate. (adultery by the bible) freeing the other to remarry.

7. ii3rittles profile image80
    ii3rittlesposted 11 years ago

Deuteronomy 24:1-4, KJV When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man’s wife. And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife; Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

God does not want it to happen, but if the husband or wife commits adultery and the victim of the act can not over come the pain, it is okay. It should NEVER be used as an escape goat.

Speak with God, He will guild your heart.

8. nihar2 profile image61
    nihar2posted 11 years ago

when the the couple are not happy with their marriage after several tries, then Divorce can be a solution, and when somebody loves you and ready to marry you even if you are a divorcée, then where is the problem exist, I guess when somebody is getting happy due to Divorce/re-marriage there is no need to panic just because Bible restricts it.

9. profile image0
    whowasposted 11 years ago

Well I certainly wouldn't want to base my opinion on an unconditional acceptance of the authority of some bronze-age tribal regulations such as you refer to in the collection of documents known as 'the bible'.

It seems clear enough to me that marriage is a social institution invented by people and has had and continues to have a variety of forms and functions in different cultures around the world. In that sense, there simply isn't one single institution of marriage.

In most cases, marital notions are rooted in ancient history and really relate to laws about the transfer of property (and a woman in those primitive cultures was considered the property of her husband) and ensuring that the tribe was kept in reasonable genetic health.

I don't really see the hand of the divine in any of that. Consequently, marriage can and will be re-invented according to the current social needs and changing ideas. We have certainly come a long way in improving our moral fabric and ethical structures since the rather limited and horrid regulations of the biblical peoples with their inherent and primitive assumptions about property, women and slavery.

Jesus seems a bit confused about the issue of divorce, in any case. In Mark 10:11 and Luke 16:18 he condemns all divorce but in Matthew 5: 32 he says it's okay for a man to divorce his wife if she commits adultery.

1. profile image0
      whowasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whoever minused this answer should realize that the hubpages rules advise plussing and minussing to be done on the basis of whether or not a comment is an intelligent contribution to the discussion not on whether you personally like it or not.

10. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i say it's a bunch of malarcky. you marry someone, it doesn't work out so you divorce and if you meet someone else, you get married again. what some myth supposedly said doesn't matter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)