jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What did Jesus Say on the Cross?

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

What did Jesus Say on the Cross?

2. Ann Nonymous profile image59
    Ann Nonymousposted 8 years ago

"My God My God Why Hast Thou forsaken Me?" Matthew 24: 46 Which signifies God turning His back on Jesus as Jesus accepted and took our sins. Jesus knew that He would have to suffer the wrath of God when he died on the cross, but when He arose all things were made NEW! It was by those stripes and that crucifixation that we are healed and saved.
    He also spoke to the men on his right and left side about the Kingdom of Heaven, and He told John to take care of his mother Mary....
    At the very end of it all Jesus said, "It is finished!"

3. Mikio profile image84
    Mikioposted 8 years ago

Mark & Matthew: My God, My God, why have you forsaken me? This is actually a quote from Psalm 22:1.  It was Mark's way of showing that Jesus was the suffering servant of God. (Matthew basically copied Mark's answer in this particular case.)  Luke: Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.  Luke was writing his version of Jesus narratives to a Gentile audience.  He wasn't interested in quoting scriptures to show that Jesus' words and deeds fulfilled prophecies found in the Hebrew Bible. John: It is finished. John treats Jesus' death as if it wasn't very painful.  Jesus was in complete control from start to finish in John's gospel. So, what did Jesus say?  My answer: It all depends on which gospel you're going to emphasize.  Jesus couldn't possibly have said ALL those things simultaneously  just before his last breath. Something gotta give here.

4. Williamjordan profile image61
    Williamjordanposted 7 years ago

It is Finished, read my hub titled the same

5. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 7 years ago

The Greek word "cross in many Bible versions (torture stake)  is stau-ros'. In classical Greek , it meant an upright stake or pale. The Imperial Bible-Dictionary says: "The Greek word for cross (stau-ros') properly signified a stake, an upright pole or piece of paling on which something was hung.

Which has led me to believe that Jesus Christ wasn't crucified, he was impaled. It wasn't a cross but a torture stake.