jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why Did Jesus Speak in Parables?

1. PhoenixV profile image77
    PhoenixVposted 2 years ago

Why Did Jesus Speak in Parables?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12435998_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Hopefully you'll get to ask him!

3. TheHealthGuy LM profile image88
    TheHealthGuy LMposted 2 years ago

In Matthew 13: 10-15 Jesus is clear why He spoke in parables:" The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. This is why I speak to them in parables:

“Though seeing, they do not see;
        though hearing, they do not hear or understand.
    In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
        you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
    For this people’s heart has become calloused;
        they hardly hear with their ears,
        and they have closed their eyes.
    Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
        hear with their ears,
        understand with their hearts
    and turn, and I would heal them.

1. profile image59
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

4. Kathleen Hiler profile image64
    Kathleen Hilerposted 2 years ago

Jesus made comments that he spoke in parables in order that people would not be able to "see" and be converted. He wanted them to have to seek him with their heart and SEE within that heart  or their spirit. Matthew 13: 13-15
    15 For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.'

5. Theresa Jonathan profile image78
    Theresa Jonathanposted 2 years ago

You will recall that since the fall of man, God had been communicating with people about their salvation. After the flood, God had a new strategy of bringing His Son through Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. When Jesus finally came, He was like the first Adam; fully equipped with the gifts of the spirit to reach every person with the truth about the salvation. Parable enabled Jesus to explain spiritual concepts about God's plan to reconnect with mankind in a more effective manner. For example, the parable of the seed that falls on different places - good soil, rocks, shallow soil - became very clear to this agrarian community because it clearly showed them why they have not been hearing the word of God. Parables are teaching aids and are very helpful

6. profile image59
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

Jesus wants us to "seek His face" by studying His Word "in the Spirit" praying for revelation from THE HOLY SPIRIT!" 

The following verses were repeated three times:  Matthew 16:15-17, Mark 8:29 and Luke 9:20 in which Jesus asked Peter, "...But who do say ye that I am?"  Peter answered, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona; for FLESH AND BLOOD HATH NOT REVEALED IT UNTO THEE, BUT MY FATHER, WHO IS IN HEAVEN."

Well, that is precisely why He spoke in parables, so that "man's wisdom" does not reveal rather the HOLY SPIRIT reveals "TRUTH" in His Word!

I agree with The Healthy Guy's comment wholeheartedly!

Why do you think there are so many different denominations?  Because "man's wisdom" who reads only in a "literal" sense, cannot "see" TRUTH in His Word for the Holy Spirit has not revealed!

working