jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can an atheist believe in any kind of creative power, divine love, cosmic consci

1. evanlaeys profile image61
    evanlaeysposted 7 years ago

Can an atheist believe in any kind of creative power, divine love, cosmic consciousness . . . ?...

Or really just nothing outside the 3-D world?

2. Xgear profile image55
    Xgearposted 7 years ago

Atheist refuse the existance of any sort of god or deity, any sort of greater power. They are not skepticals, as it is more related to the Agnostisism, so they might belive in a different "reality", just not something that'd rule over it smile

Agnostics on the other hand, do not refuse the existance of the above mentioned, while they simply refuse the human-ability to gain any knowledge over these deities or its existance. They're open to the idea but require some proof on the matter, therefor they are open to the possibility of the existance of a greater power.

3. evanlaeys profile image61
    evanlaeysposted 7 years ago

Xgear, what do you mean by a "different reality?" I don't believe that Divine Love "rules" over creation. I believe that Love is the energy that creates and maintains us. Just wondering if any atheists would like this notion as opposed to the judgmental god that too many religions present.

4. Torch Harrison profile image83
    Torch Harrisonposted 7 years ago

Nope.  Your garden-variety athiest believes in what they can experience or quantify based on provable fact.  For example, you can't normally directly observe certain substances...gases or dark matter come to mind.  But they can be quantified using equipment that helps us in detecting it.  Knowledge is power and athiests tend to be very knowledge-based.  Emotions are seen as a hindrance to objective, rational thought and the idea of believing in cosmic consciousness or divine love seems simply pointless, or a waste of time, to an atheist.

5. terced ojos profile image66
    terced ojosposted 7 years ago

Your garden variety atheist secretly perceives that there is "something" spiritually greater than themselves.

In the quiet interludes of their lives they know that God exists they are mostly frustrated with the representation of God by others.

All human beings perceive the existence of God. Responding to that "God" however is a different discussion altogether.

6. Raven1001 profile image69
    Raven1001posted 7 years ago

I think terced ojos had a very insightful answer, and it's probably true for many.
    There are some good hubs here about quantum theory (I only vaguely understand it myself so be kind)   I've met several people who work in different scientific fields who believe there is a god only if you believe in god, because we actually shape the reality around us with our minds.