jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Did you know that the Bible said the earth was round way before Gallileo?

1. Sky321 profile image77
    Sky321posted 7 years ago

Did you know that the Bible said the earth was round way before Gallileo?

2. NoRR4Me profile image83
    NoRR4Meposted 7 years ago

Yes, the bible says the earth is shaped in a circle.

Isaiah 40:22  It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: 23 That bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.

3. Merlin Fraser profile image80
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

No it didn't, what it actually said was it was a circle which is the Flat Earth version of the shape of the planet.

If you stand in a high place or at sea out of sight of land and look around the horizon it indeed forms a circle.  What you cannot see is the curvature of the Earth that leads to a sphere.   

I’d also like to point out that it was the Christian church who used the same Bible to prosecute Gallileo for his theory that the Earth revolved around the sun and not the other way around. A theory that tended to put a big dent in the Genesis creation theory that God created the Earth first then added light (Sun) as an after thought.

4. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 7 years ago

Isaiah is a Book of The Prophets. It was written in Hebrew/Aramaic and Circle meant Circumference. It referred to the region that completely surrounds the Earth. It was not talking about the shape of the earth.
    That's the problem, people think and don't really grasp the meaning.

Christians don't have much to do with the Old Testament because they THINK the New One replaced it.

5. Jaggedfrost profile image80
    Jaggedfrostposted 7 years ago

lol as I read the bible I am always astounded by how syntax and verbiage as well as the version of the scriptures has a tendency make this a subject of contention.  I am unaware of any group of Israelites who ever went out the prove the point even if several of the prophets amongst them made alliterations to the shape of the earth.  Whether the Israelites took any of that seriously it is uncertain as one scripture referred to the earth as God's foot stool.  In the last moments that Christ spent amongst his people he did mention that there were other sheep that he needed to visit and when he was pressed for whom those were he gave them to understand that there were island in the sea that he had to visit and bring his gospel to.  As I am not bound by the Bible alone for evidence of the curvature of the world at the time Christ or even before, I am aware that one of the sons of Jeremiah managed to escape and charter a boat to escape the invasion of Jerusalem at the time of Zedekiah.  The Book of Mormon records running into that people.   Thor Heyerdahl found a group of people who operated around the equator in their pursuit of Sun worship who were the probable people that Mulek contacted to get out of the way of the Babylonians.  As most of Israel was unconcerned with the rest of the world favoring their promised land above all others, that the knowledge existed during that time is certain but beyond that is pure speculation.

Closed to reply