jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can one compromise with speaking the truth- White lies as we call them?

1. sofs profile image85
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Can one compromise with speaking the truth- White lies as we call them?

2. Nick B profile image81
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

I think sometimes we have to.

How often does a child show a parent something they have painted, drawn or made.

Frankly it looks nothing like what they say it's supposed to be, but can you tell the child that?

The parent tells them it's wonderful, even though it isn't because telling the child the truth would probably be heartbreaking.

In instances like those, it's no skin off your nose to be nice or positive about something, rather than completely honest, which could be hurtful to the recipient.

3. Thamuss profile image62
    Thamussposted 7 years ago

The label white lie is intended to create a class of lying that is innocuous. Scripture makes no such distinction, so if scripture is the basis for your beliefs, then the appellation "white" needs to be removed. A lie is a lie.
    In Nicks example, a child shows an awful scribbling. I have such papers from my grand daughters. Are they wonderful? Of course they are! I love them. In my office, I have a scribbled, faded card that says, "I love you, Daddy" that my daughter gave me when she was 5 or 6. It moves me everytime I think about it.
    Most of the time, we can say things that are nurturing. We want to encourage. But directly lying is not only a violation of the moral imperative of the scripture, it also sets a poor example for our children and others.
    "Speak the truth in love" is a great scripture to remember. Proverbs suggests that the wise person is one who speaks little. At the least think about what you will say before speaking.
    I tend to think of words as tools of our trade. We can practice wordcraft that is not insulting or harmful without needing to resort to lying.
    Great question!

4. sofs profile image85
    sofsposted 7 years ago

I like your response Thamuss, a lie is a lie . End of story.
    I would look at the childs scribble and what we say as an appreciation of the effort put in by the child Nick.  Speak the truth in love sums it all!!

working