jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I live in Alaska which can get VERY cold in the Winter. I have often wondered h

1. moshebenyisrael profile image57
    moshebenyisraelposted 7 years ago

I live in Alaska which can get VERY cold  in the Winter. I have often wondered how the...

prohibition against "kindling a fire" on the Sabbath would be interpreted for those of us that have to build fires to heat our homes when it is bitterly cold outside.

Thanks

Moshe

2. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

A Jewish friend told me that exceptions can be made, even eating pork, if survival is at stake.  FWIW.

3. Kahana profile image81
    Kahanaposted 7 years ago

Dabeaner is correct. If a life is at stake then that takes priority.  Of course, there are alternatives to heating than wood or coal fires and these are usually on a thermostat and therefore automatic.  Technically, one therefore is not lighting the fire and if its electric heating, then as my article on the Sabbath indicates, that shouldn't be considered fire at all.
    The other approach is that the fire is already established and therefore one is merely maintaining the fire and not kindling it. 
    But when it comes to any of the prohibitions, should their adherence endanger a life, then they are not to be enforced.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

If you are Jewish and follow the Torah, then you'd probably get a slap on the wrist from God for doing such a thing. If you are Christian there is absolutely nothing wrong with kindling a fire. Jesus would do it in a heartbeat.

5. moshebenyisrael profile image57
    moshebenyisraelposted 7 years ago

Thank you friends.

And no, I am not Christian; yet, I am also not sure the historical Jesus would have done it...he and his immediate family like his brother James were observant Jews.

working