jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think that all the major religions and other belief systems of the world

1. andromida profile image59
    andromidaposted 7 years ago

Do you think that all the major religions and other belief systems of the world may become...

obsolete after 500 years from now?

2. wingedcentaur profile image82
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

There's no reason they should. I think they will continue to perform at least one of the functions they have always served. Here, I'm defining religion very broadly -- for me it is not just religion proper but all the subtle arts of the human species (music, philosophy, poetry, art, dance, etc). For me, that function is to mythologize (the initial processing methodology of the species) future natural wonders, make them coherent and understandable in one form until we can process and understand them clinically and scientifically.

The short answer to your question: In my opinion, no religion will or should become obsolete after 500 years. I'm not exactly a "believer" but I do not believe a world without religion would be a very constructive, happy, and more importantly productive place.

3. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

If we do not grow up and put superstition and religion (and all the baggage that comes with them) aside we probably won't be here in 500 years time.

Look at what is happening in the Middle East. Religious differences are being exploited to foment a war for oil.

Many Christians are awaiting the end of the World with bated breath.

We have the technology now to destroy ourselves many times over. What will we have in 200 years?

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i think that science will soon prove evolution, the big bang etc, beyond a shadow of doubt but for some religion is a need so i doubt it will ever end. just knowing that when you die , it's over is more then many religious people can handle so those people will never give up their beliefs.

working