jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Does the internet help or hurt most major religions?

1. littlething profile image86
    littlethingposted 2 years ago

Does the internet help or hurt most major religions?

For example, does access to a broader view sway people away from organized religion, or do they find their own "niche" on the internet and ignore the rest?

2. Mihnea Andreescu profile image82
    Mihnea Andreescuposted 2 years ago

I think it helps religions because it aids the proliferation of their teachings on a mass scale and facilitates their gain of virtual adepts and sympathisers.

littlethingposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That was one thing that I was thinking. There are plenty of websites based around religion. But, on the flip side, it also means that others can learn more about other religions, and decide to convert. Or, they could become atheists.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

Let's hope that it leads to greater understanding and eventual integration, so that the better parts of all of them are embraced and put into practice.   

The teachings of just about every religion are very much the same. However, it is an unfortunate human trait to find the differences and then home in on them. 

I'm of the opinion that 'Religion' is gradually giving way to a sort of Universal Spirituality free of the dogma and rulings that belabour so much of the major religious branches.   Moreover, I think the change is inevitable and inexorable as the world on which we humans live continues to 'shrink,' in terms of accessibility.

That's what I'm hoping. It will be interesting to see what happens as the internet becomes more and more integrated into our lives.

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

depends on the followers, how deep he believes. Most religions do not teach to hurt others, regardless internet or books

Ah, but even though religion teaches people not to harm others, but look at radical Islam. They've been recruiting quite a few people through the internet to harm others. I'm wondering if it hurts religion itself though.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

People definitely find niches for their beliefs on the internet, but overall I would say the internet has done more harm to religion in two major ways. The first is that it provides quick and easily accessed information to alternatives. Part of the reason religion survives as well as it does is because of early indoctrination. But children today have that internet access to learn about alternatives. It makes it harder for their parents' religion to assimilate them.

The other reason is because the negative aspects of religion are on public display. Sex scandals, mega church greed, and extremists are all dragged into the light. It paints a negative picture of religion that might have previously been unknown to its followers.

I don't think that the internet will end religion entirely, but I do think it's started a chain reaction that will slowly remove it from what is considered 'mainstream'.

Great answer. That was the way I was leaning as well.

6. Evane profile image53
    Evaneposted 2 years ago

Both. But more on the hurting side because the Internet has made everything complicated so is our religion or faith.

working