jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Did Jesus support distribution of wealth from the rich too the poor?

1. Thesource profile image79
    Thesourceposted 7 years ago

Did Jesus support distribution of wealth from the rich too the poor?

He told a rich young man to give all his wealth to poor. He also said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of needle that for a rich to enter the kingdom of God.

2. profile image56
    Donald Eposted 7 years ago

He supported voluntary charity by the wealthy.
    There is a big difference between you deciding to give your money to someone who needs it and (just as an example) the government deciding to tax you to subsidize low income families.
    We should give to the poor and help people because it does our souls good to care about others.

3. Rabid Puma profile image60
    Rabid Pumaposted 7 years ago

He certainly advocated charity. I'm not sure that's the same thing as what you're asking.

4. eilander1542011 profile image61
    eilander1542011posted 7 years ago

Jesus cared about one thing... LOVE!
    If someone's expression of LOVE led them to give away all of their wealth than Jesus would let them do so. Just like if someone's LOVE led them to not give away their wealth, than he would again let them do that. WE must understand that Jesus came to show us LOVE and the freedom it brings to our lives. He was never one for strict dos and don'ts, simply LOVE.

5. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 7 years ago

Jesus gave this young man an instruction- to let go of his love of material possessions and follow Him.  the instruction was a test of where the young man's heart was. If you continue reading that discussion you will read the young man couldn't handle the idea of giving his possessions away. even for a good reason. We get stuck on the material goods- just like that young man did.

6. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 7 years ago

money today is from man. God money is silver and gold and was the money of the world until about 250 years ago when the world went to paper money.man have taken and kill to control what God has given to us and if man can charge the animal or make them pay to live they would , and since man can't, they kill off as many animal as they can.

7. coolbreeze profile image50
    coolbreezeposted 7 years ago

You might get a better answer if you ask him yourself. Everyone is always trying to figure out what he said and what he ment. Ask Him.
    Certainly he would have a better answer than anyone of us on hub pages.  Just a thought.

8. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 7 years ago

Yes, but Jesus did not TAKE those things away.
    He asked that we give according to the measure of our hearts....... not that we appoint those who take from us and misuse our funds, often financing things that are in disagreement with us.

Let those who desire wealth, keep it.

Let those who care about animals, act in their name.

Let those who care about veterans, give to their cause.

Let those who care for the hungry, feed their neighbor in need.

Jesus, at no time, TOOK......
    Jesus asked us to Give, the government, Takes.

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

If you read the Bible, it mentions time and again about caring for widows and orphans - so charity is embedded in Judaism and Christianity.  Jesus didn't talk much about economics, his most famous quote in that arena is "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's."  Jesus also said, "the poor with always be with you," so he certainly realized that there will always be economic disparity.

10. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

I guess there is always enough resources on earth for man's need but never enough for his greed.

11. tracykarl99 profile image83
    tracykarl99posted 7 years ago

I'm with Eilander, Christ was, and is, all about love. When I think in terms of wealth; for example, I may need to give something up or put off having something that I want. It might be crushing , to one degree or another. But I think of Christ, and then my priorities are brought back to their proper place. How much does one need beyond spiritual sustenance?

working