Why is Civil Union not recognized by the church?

1. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 7 years ago

Why is Civil Union not recognized by the church?

Such as being married in City Hall.

I recently posted an experience I had with a priest. The first time I got married I was 21 and had little money. My husband and I paid $25.00 and were married in City Hall. For our 5 year wedding anniversary we saved up moneyto have the big wedding in church.

When we went to meet with the priest, we were told that we had been living in sin for 5 years, that our marriage was not recognized by God or the church.

What do you think?

2. japtaker profile image89
    japtakerposted 7 years ago

I could answer this question with another question: why was a heliocentric solar system (a somewhat redundant phrasing, if you actually look at the words) not recognized by the church for the longest time? I think the key word, for the purposes of coming up with our answer, is "recognize", defined by Webster's as: "something that the church generally does not do until long, long after the fact, long after most everyone else has come to accept a thing as common sense". I am being facetious. And perhaps showing too much of my own feelings toward most organized religion.

But in all seriousness, I would have to say that God recognized your union, despite the fact that your church did not. I also suspect that He recognized, before the church accepted it, that the earth revolves around the sun.

Closed to reply