jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

do you listen when the pope has something to say?

1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

do you listen when the pope has something to say?

does what he has to say matter to you?

2. Mr. Infinite profile image62
    Mr. Infiniteposted 7 years ago

Not at all! What is a pope for anyways? Really, the catholic religion is still stuck in Roman Empire days. Research how woman can not be priestly ordained!!

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image81
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 7 years ago

You bet!  I listen when most people talk because I want to know what others are thinking.  I may not agree, but I will listen. I don't revere the Pope and I often don't agree, but I listen.  Does what he has to say matter to me?  Not anymore than anyone else.  I value the opinion of certain people in my life--those people whom I know love me for me and those that I know will have my back.  I value the opinion of others because it is there opinion not because it matters to me personally or because I think they are right "no matter what". 

He is the Pope and, like the President, or, the Queen, I respect and honor them because of their position, their office, not because I always agree, etc.

4. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I tend to listen to most religious leaders for two reasons, often they have interesting things to say, especially the Archbishp of Canterbury, and the Bishop of Durham, the other reason is a supply of ammo to use their words against them.
    I don't think much of this German Pope, the last lad from Poland was all right.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

No, I never know about anything he says unless I read about it on this site.  I refuse to watch television ever, and I'm not a Catholic.

Now, having said all of that, I do have a lot of respect for the pope, and the Catholic Church, but I know for certain that I've benefited more from my own personal studies than from anyone's preaching and teaching.

6. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

No.  I despise the papacy as one of the most evil institutions on the planet.

7. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 7 years ago

I used to be interested in what the pope had to say.  Not because I am a Roman Catholic, or even a Christian, but simply because I had an interest in religion, even though I consider myself an atheist.  However, after the many child abuse stories which have been in the news, I no longer have any desire to listen to a representative of a religion which has condoned such crimes.

8. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 7 years ago

Not with great detail.

Nothing against the Pope, it is the same for my elected officials all the way up to the president. 

I prefer to read my news....and I don't require someone to tell me what to think.

The more interest I have, the closer I either listen or read.

working