Would it be better to die relativity young a legend or live a long life of unful

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Alastar Packer profile image70
    Alastar Packerposted 13 years ago

Would it be better to die relativity young a legend or live a long life of unfulfilled mediocrity?

2. eneva profile image69
    enevaposted 13 years ago

To be or not to be, that is the question

3. jsh_golden profile image60
    jsh_goldenposted 13 years ago

Ahhh that is the the great question in Homer's "Iliad". Achilles is stuck with this question in the back of his mind, whether to become immortal through everlasting glory and die young, or to live a long life amongst family. Achilles chose the glory of course, but would we know of days? I'm not sure. Achilles was of a pagan culture where there was not anything more divine, more closer to the Gods, than to win interminable glory. However, nowadays I believe our civilization, our western cultures, as Virgil did in the Aeneid, "Is this all there is? Is there something more?" Perhaps for some of us its God, maybe something else.

4. Alastar Packer profile image70
    Alastar Packerposted 13 years ago

Well done jsh! Your insight is perfect. A wise woman once said; if you want to know what it's all about for you, take some time and look at the nature all around yourself. Ashamed a little I haven't studied Homer to much so I learned something...again great answer!

5. Buffoon profile image75
    Buffoonposted 13 years ago

It'd be better not to live a life of unfulfilled mediocrity, full stop. I mean, not all of us can die a James Dean death, but ALL of us can *aim* at escaping mediocrity smile

6. 110211 profile image40
    110211posted 13 years ago

ok I read this and thought to myself gee I hope he is not thinking of doing anything stupid.
    then the light bulb in my head went off, so I will answer your question seriously now.
    Here goes
    engaging brain

I think it would be better to die relatively young a legend, beacuse in this question 'relatively young' has no definite time attached to it, so if someone dies a legend that means that they died too young.

If they became a legend in death then that would really suck.
    If somone dies a legend then they are a legend no matter what age they died 20, 30, 60 ,100 ? it would still be too young.

If someone is a legend , can you not argue that they are still alive, until the time comes when they will no longer be a legend because all is forgotten.

7. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

This is the only life you get.  Shine while you're here.  Otherwise you're just a waste of space and a burden on the planet and the future.

Full speed ahead.  It will be what it will be.

8. Mark Upshaw profile image59
    Mark Upshawposted 13 years ago

This question sounds like "is it better to be a martyr for a cause or one of the others?" 

Being a legend after one is dead is of no value to the dead and living a life judged by another as mediocre is a lack of insight in the one that judges another's life.

9. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/2236770_f260.jpg

Life was meant to be lived for as long as possible no matter what one achieves. Life is what you make it, so make it grand. Decide what you want out of life and come up with a plan. The best plan for anyone should be, to strive to be the best person they can be.

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Well...   I prefer not to live a mediocre existence; but I have to say I'd go with the long, unfilled, life over a short life.    smile   As long as we're alive there's always the hope that the problem of a mediocre existence will be resolved.   Besides, I have three kids; and I lost my father so much sooner than people should lose a parent.  I have to go with preferring to live longer and not having my kids feel as if they've been robbed for decades of having their mother.  When you have kids it's not about what you'd prefer.  It's about what's best for them - no matter how old they are.

11. ttrash profile image60
    ttrashposted 13 years ago

I would choose a long life of mediocrity over being legendary any day! For me, it's hard to think of any life as mediocre, every one has something a little special. In addition, I don't think I'd want to go down in legend anyway, seeings how it will be forgotten in a few million years.

12. The Demon Writer profile image61
    The Demon Writerposted 13 years ago

That's a hard one to answer. I'm not so sure about the whole 'afterlife' thing, so I kind of figure that if I die young then I am going to be too... well... dead to enjoy my success. But at the same time, I have big plans for myself and I could not live a life of unfulfilled mediocrity and be OK with it. So I guess I would rather die young because then at least my life would have been interesting while I lived it rather than a pointless passing of time until old age claims me. Good question:P

13. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

i'd rather live a boring life then worry about being something others call a legend. living life is what you make of it and if all you care about is greatness, it will be a sad short life.

14. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Somewhere in his novel East of Eden, John Steinbeck speaks to the death of a man.  He talks about how at the end of this man's life, no one mourned.  The reaction to his death wasn't one of rejoicing either.  It was simply indifference. 

Whether my life is mediocre and unfulfilled can only be decided by me.  But in the end, whether I die young or live to a ripe old age, I just want to know that somewhere along the line, I've touched enough lives in such a way that no one will be indifferent to my death.  That doesn't mean I have to die a legend at a young age.  It just means I have to truly live and truly love while I'm alive.

15. Uni_te profile image61
    Uni_teposted 13 years ago

Die young, a legend. At least people would care when you're gone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)