jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

"Why did the people in Genesis live such long lives?"

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 7 years ago

"Why did the people in Genesis live such long lives?"

2. Internetwriter62 profile image82
    Internetwriter62posted 7 years ago

Because their genetics were superior due to the fact that they were so close to the first generation so the gene pool had not deterioration to the degree it has today.
    They also had a canopy which offered them an extra layer of protection from the sun. This canopy disappeared due to the flood.  I hope this helps.

3. bibleguy profile image61
    bibleguyposted 7 years ago

There are a number of possibilities.  First of all, note when the ages dropped off dramatically - right after Noah and the flood.  The cut in half for Noah's sons, then half for their sons, and then finally the next generation - Abraham - lived close to what we'd consider a normal life.
    It's quite possible that the earth underwent dramatic changes with the flood.  When the skies were opened up, it may have removed a protective barrier which allowed more radiation in.
    Another possibility has to do with atmospheric pressure.  Scientists believe that the atmospheric pressure was about double what it is now.  I don't understand all of the science behind it but greater pressure seems to help with healing.  This is why some people sleep in hyperbaric chambers to recover from an injury.
    The third possibility has to do with genetics.  In short, Noah was the last to have the longevity gene.  His children had it, but only half because they only got it from their father.  The next generation only had one quarter of it.  This would make sense from the ages that I mentioned earler.
    In truth, we can't be certain but any or all of these three are possibilities.

4. SamboRambo profile image82
    SamboRamboposted 7 years ago

I think they lived long lives because the systems in their bodies that was to keep them alive for eternity died out slowly. In the Garden, their bodies were perfect, and used to taking care of themselves. The vegetables and fruit they ate gave them nutrients that were long-lasting and perfect in their health-providing capacities. Also, they didn't invent preservatives and sweets for quite some time after their sin.  ;-)

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

because it was a book. geez, they could have written anything they wanted. people in there could have had extra arms and people would still believe in it.

6. profile image45
    PatrickKnowposted 7 years ago

You can find four common answers to this here, using one specific character as an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah#Interpretations

My bet is on a combination of mistranslation and symbolism.

7. dontmakemeover profile image63
    dontmakemeoverposted 7 years ago

Yeah, I hate to be the devil's advocate here (pun intended), but have you considered that they aren't real people, but just a story? Bilbo Baggins lived past his 111 birthday, but no one's asking how he did it.

8. PlanksandNails profile image84
    PlanksandNailsposted 7 years ago

One theory is that the earth's magnetic field is fading.

9. profile image0
    snapcracklepopposted 19 months ago

They were closer to perfection (See Genesis 5:1-32, and Genesis 9:29)

working