jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

What do you think is the main reason religious people become athiests?

1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

What do you think is the main reason religious people become athiests?

is it because they are more educated, sick of religion in itself or something else?

2. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 6 years ago

Their beliefs change. For each person it would probably be a different reason as no mind/heart is alike. It could be that they are no longer comfortable in a set religion and just don't want to be associated with any religion.

3. rachellrobinson profile image80
    rachellrobinsonposted 6 years ago

I heard an excellent definition of "hell" so to speak, which don't get me wrong I am not trying to say that I believe in hell or that atheist go to hell. I heard that hell is a place in which Jesus doesn't exist. So if you don't believe in Jesus, not necessarily as the son of God, then that means you can't possibly go somewhere he is, because you don't believe in him.
    I guess the point I am trying to make, is atheism makes sense. It is right, so is Christianity, so is Judaism and so on down the line, the main point is that if you believe something when you die that is what you are going to experience and anyone telling you differently or saying that their beliefs are right and yours are wrong, well that just isn't the case.
    I guess Nietzsche said it best, "That is your way, this is my way, the way doesn't exist."

4. Merlin Fraser profile image78
    Merlin Fraserposted 6 years ago

Maybe it is when they finally work out that religion doesn't make any sense, and that it is a power play by religious leaders to control their thoughts and minds.

Other than the Bible, when was there ever a witnessed and documented account of any Diety appearing on Earth or talking to or doing anything ?

I can imagine many things that happen in the world being blamed on God I'll bet there's a lot of soul searching going on in Alabama right now wondering what they did to piss him off this time !!!

5. NorthEast Timber profile image60
    NorthEast Timberposted 6 years ago

Because they are closed minded to the fact something may exist without proof that if it can't be touched it doesn't exist..  They may be insecure thinking their friends may make fun of them.  They may be afraid of being persecuted for beleiving.  Maybe they are mad because they prayed and felt it wasn't answered to their satisfaction. Maybe they think they are too educated.

6. CJ Andrews profile image92
    CJ Andrewsposted 6 years ago

I would have to say a sudden unacceptable conflict in belief of some sort.  One has to give, a whole interior belief system or an outside belief system.

@ Merlin: you are looking at one religion only for proof.  You say only the Bible has accounts of deity on Earth, talking, or doing anything.  Seems like every religion has some sort of contact.

I think if a person does believe in a religion then they should question it while accepting it.  Only gives one more ground and understanding with it.

7. DonDWest profile image60
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

Treason: If people you once admired as religious scholars growing up, used your religion for vile and twisted purposes, you would feel a tad jaded in general towards that religion.

8. wilbury4 profile image72
    wilbury4posted 6 years ago

As you know I am not religious but I would say that any changes in life are the main reason for a religious person to become atheist, or for an atheist to become religious.
    For example, an illness or a death in the family; a divorce; a natural disaster; a man made disaster; basically anything that creates a change in the persons life.

9. RevLady profile image61
    RevLadyposted 6 years ago

For some, the foundational presuppositions were faulty and therefore could not stand firm when tested. For some they learn that God does not act according to their (man's) expectations. For others, I think it may be just a general lack of understanding of what Christianity or their religion really involves. For still others, yes, education may have also been a stumbling block.

Forever His

10. JDeAngelis profile image60
    JDeAngelisposted 6 years ago

I think that most religious people turn to atheism because they cannot find sufficient answers to their questions.

When they ask and are given answers such as, it's a mystery or God works in mysterious ways they see their religion for what it is. An incomplete way of life, so they end up where they get answers and one of those places is Atheism but it's not the only place where answers lay.

11. The Demon Writer profile image64
    The Demon Writerposted 6 years ago

That differs between each individual.

Some religious people stop believing in God because they feel that God wasn't there for them.

Some because they start asking questions and notice all of the inconsistencies and contradictions in religion.

Some people see all of the bad and hurt in the world and wonder how God could let this happen.

Sometimes religion just stops making sense.

I was raised with religion but stopped believing in God at a very young age. I guess for me it was a combination of a lot of things. The main thing for me though is that my logic and my way of thinking just doesn't allow for me to believe in God. To me it just doesn't work. To much points towards Gods nonexistence. I couldn't possibly ignore the information I had.

Believing in God just didn't make sense to me as I got older.