No where in the bible that I know of does it state that we are to love the Holy

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image54
    graceinusposted 8 years ago

No where in the bible that I know of does it state that we are to love the Holy Spirit, why not?

I find it interesting that the bible does not inclued love towards the Holy Spirit.  However, the Holy Spirit is inclued when we are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit. Unless I have missed some verse in the bible the states otherwise, the bible never mentions that we are also to love the Holy Spirit. I find this to be very interesting issue. Can anyone provide an answer that may explain it or provide a verse that I may have over looked?

2. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 8 years ago

Graceinus
    I haven't found anything that says we are to love, worship, adore etc. the Holy Spirit. I know often in the scriptures Holy Spirit is called He. I think a more correct translation is "it". Most every translation that is out there today is done by people that believe in the trinity doctrine so He, Him, etc. is expected. The scripture in Matthew 28:19 is suspected to be a manipulation by the Trinitarian folks. Google is full of articles that point this out. To me it would be similar to 'loving' kindness, love, or any other attribute/fruit that may come from God, Jesus or fellow believers. The spirit like the wind comes from where we don't really know but we know it is there when we feel the wind or see the fruits of the spirit. Knowledge about this I'm sure will increase after the return of Christ.
    Rich

1. profile image54
      graceinusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Rich- I left a comment on your answer earlier and mistakenly deleted it. But thanks again for your comment. I agree. Blessing

3. PlanksandNails profile image80
    PlanksandNailsposted 8 years ago

The view of the "Holy Spirit” as person was created by gnostic religious men in the 4th century.  The 1st century Apostles opposed this view, but the denominations of today have followed after the traditions and ideologies of their church fathers that have their origins in Neoplatonic philosophy.

Paul sent personal greetings to the Ekklesia from his Father and his Lord, Jesus Christ. There are many verses that prove this:

Romans 1:7, 1 Corinthians 1:3, 2 Corinthians 1:2, Galatians 1:3, Ephesians 1:2, Philipians 1:2, 1 Thessalonians 1, 2 Thessalonians 1, 1 Timothy 1:2, 2 Timothy 1:2, Titus 1:4, Philemon 1:3,

In Revelation 21 and 22, both the Father and Jesus Christ have thrones. (Revelation 22:1)

The consistency of Scripture affirms that there is one God, the FATHER, and one Lord, JESUS Christ.

James, a servant of GOD and of the Lord JESUS Christ - James 1:1

May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of GOD and of JESUS our Lord. - 2 Peter 1:2

Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the FATHER and from Jesus Christ the Father’s SON, in truth and love. - 2 John 1:3

That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the FATHER and with his SON Jesus Christ. - 1 John 1:3

The argument that the Holy Spirit is a person because of the use of pronouns would be the same as making the claim that Abel's blood that cried from the ground is a person, or wisdom in the book of Proverbs are persons too.

The voice of your brother’s blood is crying to me from the ground. - Genesis 4:10

Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice - Proverbs 1:20

The Greek word pneuma means spirit. This is a neutral term making all pronouns (he, his, him, who, whom) referring to spirit neutral. 
    It is important to study the original languages and compare and contrast with the English translations of the Bibles because of the prejudice and bias from the English translators.

Church theology depends on their personal pronouns that are founded upon translator bias, but even with all their mistranslations and additions, the weight of the overall biblical evidence exposes their false traditions.

1. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

P&N: Didn't get ur comment!  Email me! norinewilliams4035@att.net.

2. profile image54

PandN- Thank you for your insightful answer. I#ve never thought of the Holy Spirit a person, As Rich mentioned; a better translation, I think, is "IT". Without the Holy Spirit it would be most difficult to unstand God's. Many blessings Word.

3. RLWalker LM profile image60
      RLWalker LMposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Does that then mean that God is a person?

4. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

p/n  it would be difficult to improve on what you show here.  AMEN for truth

4. youmeget profile image64
    youmegetposted 8 years ago

Have you heard of the Trinity? The Father, Son and the Holy Spirit make the Trinity. So if the Son talks about loving the Father, the Holy Spirit is included. If you ever feel lost about this again, think about the Trinity.

1. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Trinity is not in the Bible. The Father says, "there is no God besides Me" (Deuteronomy 32:39), but the false doctrine of the Trinity declares there are two others who are God too in direct violation of His very own words.

2. profile image54

youmeget- I do not follow the trinity doctrine for the very reason PandN explains. But the importent aspect is blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is unforgiveable. Not that I suggest at all for anyone to blaspheme towards God or Jesus Christ. Thanks.

3. flpalermo profile image60
      flpalermoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If God is a trinity, how can blasphemy against Jesus and the Father be forgiven, but not forgiven against the Holy Spirit? Is 1/3 of God (the Holy Spirit) a party pooper? No, the Holy Spirit is not a person, but the POWER of God (acts 1:8)

4. profile image54

flpalermo- I said about the same thing you just mentioned in a comment about 3 or 4 months ago. I think it was a valid point then as I do now. Thanks

5. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 8 years ago

I feel admonished to live and act in such a way that I can have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost for inspiration and appeals to my conscience (my view, not presented by me as an official church dogma.)

The function of the Holy Ghost, as I understand it, is to testify of Christ and bring His teachings from the Father to our remembrance.

I feel I should be appreciative when that happens.  Christ taught us to pray to and love God The Father, to whom He himself prayed.  Christ undoubtedly prayed for his mother Mary and his family, but I know of no instance where He prayed to Mary, as some do today, nor to the Holy Ghost.

Surely He loved His mother, and knew the function of the Holy Ghost.  If we were to love the Holy Ghost, He would have told us.

1. Perspycacious profile image63
      Perspycaciousposted 8 years agoin reply to this

4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
      5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
      6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

2. profile image54

Demas W Jasper- Thank you for your answer.

6. profile image53
    peter565posted 8 years ago

If u really understand the origin of Christianity, u would know there is no holy spirit. Christianity 1st origin due to ancient Egyptian faith, Moses told the King, that Raj the sun god order him to come free Jewish people. After been exile, Moses live in upper stream of Niles and already forseen the coming of flood and disease in Egypt in the few coming year, he only need to lie saying it is work of god. Since then, Jews worship Raj and thing Raj is king of the gods. After Israel fall to Rome, worshiping gods become harder, as their temple was torn down, as a result, Raj become known as "god" the other "gods" become known as angels, including the Holy Spirit.

1. profile image54

peter565- I believe what the bible states. And it far different than what you have explained. I hope some day you'll take the time to STUDY the Holy Bible.
      P.S. I believe there is a Holy Spirit. Have a good day.

2. profile image53
      peter565posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, of course it would be different from the bible.  The bible is compose by 5th~6th century, thousand of years after the original legion.  In fact the Jewish bible and the Christian bible have some obvious different, as a result

3. profile image54

Well then I have no use for your explaination.

4. JLauren Angel profile image60
      JLauren Angelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Holy Spirit is GOD. Your facts are incorrect. The Triune exists in you. Of course because you stated there is no Holy Spirit, you may not fully understand true Christianity. What you have shown is only about the Jews. Gods people are Israelites.

7. Troy C. profile image60
    Troy C.posted 8 years ago

Who could not love the Holy Spirit ; which is a gift from God. Acts 1:4-5.

1. profile image54

Troy- thank you for your answer, however, being baptized with the Holy Spirit is not the same; I believe, as loving or not loving the Holy Spirit.  Unless I'm misunderstanding verses, so I see no scriptrue requirement for us to love the Holy Spirit.

8. inspiritinone profile image54
    inspiritinoneposted 8 years ago

The Holy Spirit doesnt need your Love: or even, the confession of your love.....Only your obedience to His leading to prove that you do love Jesus and God the Father.
    Joh 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot, receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."

We can say or confess anything before god and man. But your Works, based on The Holy Spirit's leading, done in Faith, means everything. YOU PROVE THAT GOD IS ALIVE. And living with us. And through The Holy Spirit, You show who Jesus is and Our relationship with The Father.
    Romans 8:1 thru to verse 17.( Please read these verses)

And you do show your love for the Spirit, by being the type of person God called you to be.

1. profile image54

inspiritinone-  thank you for your well thought out answer and I do agree, however, I'm not sure if John 13:15 really applies to this question, because Jesus Himself spoke these words you quoted in John. I  understand what Paul saying inRomans 8:1-17

9. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Somehow man became accepting of the concept of making all matter and energy in reference to man. There was no event that made this happen it just morphed into common acceptance over time. We even took the concept of God making man in his own image to mean that we look like God and the inverse of that. It got so bad that God had to send his son to take on the image of man in order for man to have a chance at believing. We just personify and Anthropomorphize everything.
    To this day people just can't grasp a spirit that does not have form. "Spirit of Love" just means love to most people. People cannot grasp an energy without form that is truly omnipresent. It is like the notion of infinity.
    So the Councils of Nicea made sure not to include any books with that kind of gobbledegook in them for the masses. Labeled mysticism and discounted and vilified. Same as the concept of miracles being performed by simply calling on the Holy Spirit. It is ingrained not to believe in that stuff so we just can't believe.
    So no there is no reference in the Bible about loving "something" that cannot be comprehended except by resort to a kind of spiritual transcendence. How can you love something that does not exist? The Holy Spirit does not exist. It simply is.

1. profile image54

Eric-I don't think any one person can realize the full scope of the Holy Spirit. But it was our Lord Jesus Christ who sent the Holy Spirit to guides us into all truths and helps us as we seek the Kingdom of God. And Im thankful for this. Thanks you.

10. JLauren Angel profile image60
    JLauren Angelposted 8 years ago

You cannot love the Holy Spirit, because the spirit is part of Jesus, it is given to us when we accept Jesus into our hearts upon baptism. Verses point this factor out. John 14:26, Romans 8:26, Galatians 5:22-23 and 1st Corinthians 6:19 to name a few. The holy spirit is already within us, we are not our own. The triune is and always will be part of the Christian world. How you chose to accept the Holy Spirit will be the final decision on your end.

1. Rich kelley profile image60
      Rich kelleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"The triune is and always will be part of the Christian world."
      True, and part of the reason Jesus will say He never knew you, Spiritual Babylon has many such man made doctrines. I'll leave you to find the truth of scripture instead of man's teaching

11. profile image55
    Supermasterposted 8 years ago

The Holy Spirit is the third divinity of the Triune God. If you love Jesus you also love God and the Holy Spirit. In my long study of the Christian Doctrines it's true it is only lately that I realized the importance of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Let's take prayer and meditation. If we used daily prayer to God or say Jesus Christ we ask so many things for intercession until we feel disappointed of not being answered although we still pray,  pray and pray. One day while I was reading a health report  meditation is needed to be cleanse whatever is bothering us, it maybe illness, anything that bothers or worries us. I came to understand the Holy Spirit will save us from our burdens in this life. Jesus left the Holy Spirit as our Comforter and to give us Peace.

1. profile image54

Grace Padua- Thanks for your answer. I don't believe the divinity doctrine. Regardless Jesus tought about loving Him and the Father. Yet there is mention of loving the Holy Spirit. Clearly Jesus tought loving the Father and Jesus seperately.

2. celafoe profile image54

grace   I suggest you get out your bible , read the above comment by Planks and nails  and see what scripture REALLY says instead of just accepting the false doctrines of apostate men

3. profile image54

celafoe- Good to see you. The statement I made "Yet there is mention of loving the Holy Spirit" is a misprint. I was trying to write; Yet there is no mention of loving the Holy Spirit. I was not agreeing with Grace Padua. I did not see to err before.

12. Jordan Travis profile image67
    Jordan Travisposted 8 years ago

I believe it is implied if you believe in the Triune God. As in the Old Testament, the Spirit of God was very much a part of God - similar to the doctrine of Holy Spirit being equally God and Jesus.

1. Jordan Travis profile image67
      Jordan Travisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can definitely see the argument, and at an impasse, we will agree to disagree. Great "debate!"

2. celafoe profile image54

that's the key   IF YOU BELIEVE IN THE FALSE TRINITY DOCTRINE .   I DO NOT  as it is not supported by scripture IN CONTEXT.   It is a doctrine of apostate men.

13. Synclesian profile image73
    Synclesianposted 8 years ago

Hi. The Father and the Son are one. They are  distinct, yet inseparable. They have Personhood, so to speak (it is hard to speak anything related to the mysterious being of God, so bear with me smile  )
    The Father and the Son, as divine Persons, have a distinct yet inseparable personality, with many virtues. Thus we are called into a relationship with this One, who is the Father/Son. The greatest commandment is to love this God, with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. We can love the Father. We can love Jesus

Who is the Spirit? The Spirit is the dispensing, the indwelling, the contacting, of the Father/Son. All that the Father is and the Son is, all that the Son accomplished in becoming human, living a sinless life, dying for our sins, resurrecting, ascending, and being enthroned, are all in the Spirit. The Spirit is thus the Person of the Father/Son coming to us, and even coming inside of us to dwell. The Spirit has no personhood  of its own to speak of. The Spirit is the manifestation of Father/Son. Hence there is no call to Love the Spirit. Now there is love in the Spirit, in the sense that the Love of God the Father, one of His many attributes, is in the Spirit. But we are never called to love or to worship the Spirit. Even in John 4 when Jesus says we must worship Him in Spirit, He did not say to worship the Spirit, but the Spirit is the realm, as the reality of the Father/Son, to worship.

The Spirit is not what Jesus left behind after He ascended. The Spirit is the reality of Christ. In 1 Cor 15 it says the last Adam (Jesus) became in resurrection, the life-giving Spirit. Jesus BECAME the Spirit when He resurrected. The Spirit is the reality of Jesus, not some separate, distinct part of a trinity. Hence in Romans 7 Paul easily switches from speaking about "The Spirit", the "Spirit of Christ" and then "Christ" Himself. Christ actually, literally dwells inside the believers. He can do this because He is the Spirit. In 2 Cor 2 Paul speaks of the Lord Jesus as "The Lord Spirit", as the one who can transform us from glory to glory. We are familiar with the term "Lord Jesus" but not so much with the term "Lord Spirit". The Spirit within every Christian is Jesus Himself, not a mere representative of Him. It is Him. But we should love Him, not the air, which is what Spirit means in Greek (pneuma). The Person of the Spirit is Jesus, and the Father, whom we should love.

1. profile image54

Synclesian. Thank you for your comment. I will not assume you are correct, however, I will study further regarding your comment. Please note that I have not heard of the term you used "Lord Spirit". I will study this further and see what comes of it.

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As will I

3. PlanksandNails profile image80

The Father and Son are one, but the disciples of Jesus Christ are also one with the Father and Son too. Read John 10:30 and then John 17:20-23.

4. profile image54

PandN- I am aware too of the verses you quoted. My concern is this concept of  " Lord Spirit" which I have not heard of before which I stated I would study further. I don't "assume" that Lord Spirit would be a correct term.

5. PlanksandNails profile image80

Graceinus,
      My comment was to Synclesian.
      The verses in John would dispel the "Lord Spirit" notion. We are one in the spirit of the Lord. (2 Cor 3:17)

But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. - 1 Cor 6:17

6. profile image54

PandN- Understood, thank you.

7. Synclesian profile image73
      Synclesianposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The term Lord Spirit is in 2 Corinthians 3:18, not chapter 2 as I wrote

8. profile image54

Synclesian- I use the NKJV Bible and in 2 Corinthians 3:18 it uses the term Spirit of the Lord, not Lord Spirit. I don't know what bible virsion you're using but by using the term Lord Spirit it changes the context of the verse. That's my opinion.

14. AshlyChristen profile image80
    AshlyChristenposted 8 years ago

maybe because the trinity is all in one, if you love one, you love them all. it is one and the same.

15. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

To say you are "IN CHRIST," you certainly DO NOT display the "fruit" of His Spirit! 

When studying the Word of God, you must do as Isaiah 28:10-13 says (in part) "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; ...YET THEY WOULD NOT HEAR.  But the Word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little, that they might go, and FALL BACKWARD, AND BE BROKEN, AND SNARED, AND "TAKEN."  One MUST NOT overlook "one jot or tittle" of HIS WORD!

FIRST, apparently you do not believe in the New Covenant!  If so, you would KNOW "NO ONE" baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit" in Scripture so why do you believe?  Baptism under the New Covenant did not occur until "AFTER" the Day of Pentecost and again "NO ONE" baptized according to Matthew 28:19 ANYPLACE in Scripture!  (Satan is "laughing" for his device to lose souls (RELIGION) is winning!)  NOTE:  One needs to study the original way that verse was written! 

SECOND, one MUST NOT miss "one jot or tittle" of HIS WORD!  "Unless I have missed some verse in the bible the states otherwise, the bible never mentions that we are also to love the Holy Spirit."  You failed to look at every "jot and tittle" of John 14:26 which says "...whom the Father will send (NOTE:) "IN MY NAME..." and Jesus was talking so Who is the Holy Spirit?  "JESUS!"  Therefore, why ask, "Are we to love the Holy Spirit?"  I try to "show you" what you've "overlooked," but because of your preconceived idea of "The Trinity," (which you may or may not believe, but think in those terms versus "ONE SPIRIT" (Ephesians 4:4-6), you will NEVER be able to "see!"

THIRD, notice when speaking of sending the Holy Spirit, Jesus said in John 14:26 "...whom "THE FATHER" will send..." and in John 16:7 Jesus said, (NOTICE:) "..."I" will send..." which is farther conformation that there is "ONE SPIRIT" (JESUS is GOD) and Philippians 2:9-11 says (in part) "God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is ABOVE EVERY NAME, That at the NAME OF "JESUS" every knee should bow..."  "And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (GOD), to the glory of GOD, the Father." 

Matthew 28:18 "ALL POWER" so where is GOD if not JESUS? 

GOD is "What" He is, but JESUS is "Who" He is!

16. importantopinions profile image61
    importantopinionsposted 8 years ago

His last non listed commandment.(We are to love one another, as we love ourselves. For as we love each other, we also love him. How we treat others, how we speak to others, how we feel towards others, we are doing so to him.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Perfect words thank you for sharing it, these are words Jesus
      was teaching his disciples,  if you can not love who you see, you can not love God who you do not see. Happy to hear your comments.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)