jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does the bicameral mind create consciousness? Does your dog have consciousness?

1. ptosis profile image71
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Does the bicameral mind create consciousness? Does your dog have consciousness?

A bicameral mind is when  cognitive functions are divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys.

2. kwade tweeling profile image91
    kwade tweelingposted 6 years ago

To this I like to ask, "How important is it to you that it doesn't?"

3. Credence2 profile image81
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

Interesting question, I can only hope to answer the second. Yes, my dogs are conscious and their quest for attention makes me believe that they are somewhat self-aware. They have to exist without a sense of yesterday or tomorrow, something isn't it?. They have the ability to remember of course, but their ability to work with and use what they remember is limited. Instinct gives them a powerful advantage over their two legged master oftentimes. Definitely, food for thought.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Yes. I think dog is similar to us. I have a dog and I notice that dog has short term memory. So I teach my dog by repeating my commands. Soon my dog able to tell what I want and reacts.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Why is this important for you to know? What do you think is the answer?

6. vveasey profile image85
    vveaseyposted 5 years ago

If I had a dog, yes it would have consciousness. In fact none of us have consciousness, we are consciousness.

The bicameral mind doesn't create consciousness. Consciousness creates the bicameral mind.