jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Is it offensive to believers when they see "god" (lower case "g") instead of "Go

1. puddingicecream profile image74
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

Is it offensive to believers when they see "god" (lower case "g") instead of "God?"

2. LVidoni5 profile image81
    LVidoni5posted 6 years ago

No, I capitalize it because it's a proper name for believers. We call him God as if it's his first name. The word god in lower case is used when speaking about one of many. "Baal is a pagan god." Rather than, "I believe in God." It's not religious but grammatical.

3. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

I don't know about other believers, but it offends me.  I always refer to God with a capital letter, as well as He, and His with capital H's.  In my eyes, it is a sign of respect for Him.

4. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

I don't feel it is, and have used both lower and upper case when referring to my gods.
    The word "God" evolved from words used in several ancient Germanic languages, specifically the words Gott (meaning "deity") and gulan (meaning "libation"). Today it is used mainly by those of the Christian faith as the proper name for their deity. The Jewish people believed their god had a name but felt it was improper to speak it or even spell it out. Christians who believe this same god is their god and father of their Christ have, in general, dropped the sacred context to the original Jewish name and replaced it with the modern definitive term/name, "God". I don't think Christian folks should be offended if "God" is spelled with a lower-case first letter as I'm sure the deity knows what's in the heart of the believer, and that's much more important than any spelling.

5. terkawy profile image55
    terkawyposted 6 years ago

Will not help much if was small or capital,Enough just to express God.

6. Pollyannalana profile image87
    Pollyannalanaposted 6 years ago

It is not offensive to me but I wouldn't myself do that and I do not capitalize satan or president.

7. Jade89 profile image83
    Jade89posted 6 years ago

Yes it is!!! I always find it annoying and offensive. I use g when referring to any common gods but G is always used when referring to THEE one and only GOD.

8. scauthor1969 profile image60
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

I agree with the comment by LVidoni5, it is a grammatical issue. You capitalize it in certain places and not others. It depends on the context of the statement.

9. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

It is offensive to me. Almighty God, the creator of all deserves respect from His creations and I believe it is totally disrespectful to refer to Him in all lower case letters.

10. www.lookseenow profile image61
    www.lookseenowposted 6 years ago

I agree with LVidoni5 the use of god, and or God depends on the sentence structure, and what is grammatically correct.  In the following scripture it is used both ways to differentiate the one true God from the other god of this system of things.
    The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. (2 Corinthians 4:4)

If I were to ask:  who is the god of this world, who would know the answer, it’s certainly not God. God allows the god of this world to foment a deadly spiritual blindness, for which Satan the Devil, the god of this world is responsible.

11. profile image0
    Aka Professor Mposted 6 years ago

Everyone will have their own opinion and that is the right they have, because of "Free Will".  For me, "God" is a title used by those who acknowledge themselves as believers to identify their "Creator". I believe, that when used that way, it should definitely be capitalized! So yes, it will be perceived as offensive by those who believe in "God"!

12. Ken Barton profile image57
    Ken Bartonposted 6 years ago

I always use a capital G when referring to God my Savior, but a lower case g when referring to one of many demi-gods.  I also refuse to use a capital S or D when referring to satan or the devil, because I won't give him that respect or dignity.