jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Aside from the Bible, is there any evidence that Jesus Christ existed?

1. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Aside from the Bible, is there any evidence that Jesus Christ existed?

I'm not asking if he was the Son of God. I want to know if there is any physical evidence or documentation that Jesus was a real person.

2. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

Well, I'm thinking the Birkenstock sandal company is direct proof that Jesus existed.  They should have a new slogan, "Buy Birks, Jesus wore them"

3. jstfishinman profile image64
    jstfishinmanposted 6 years ago

Look into the writings of Josephus, an early historian. Jesus is also found in Roman history, as they kept records of not only Pontius Pilot and his punishments handed out, but also rulings passed down from Rome. The Jewish King Herod is also mentioned in these writings. Check out Josephus on Jesus in wikipedia.

4. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

no there isn't but some folks will come up with things they think proves he existed.

5. lone77star profile image85
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

Besides Josephus, mentioned by jstfishinman, there is the indirect proof that Christianity spread so quickly in the first and second centuries.

I suppose it's possible for a conspiracy to create a religion and spread it, pretending their was a founder many years earlier, but up until 70 AD, new converts had plenty of people to ask if Jesus was real or not, and all those people were in one place. That's only about 35 years after the crucifixion. By then, Christianity had spread fairly wide around the Eastern Mediterranean. If Jesus had not been real, I'm sure someone would've said something and spread the word that this new cult is a bunch of liars.

The teachings of Jesus are profound and counter-intuitive. They break out of the mold of common thinking with things like loving your neighbor and even your enemy, turning the other cheek, or walking the extra mile (for the Roman soldier). He also said that we can do the miracles he did and even greater. I've found that last one to be true. This by itself does not prove Jesus existed, but it doesn't hurt.

The problem most non-Christians have with Christianity is the ego of the pseudo-Christians. We've had 2000 years of that, and a lot of dead bodies left in its wake.

But now we have the freedom to question the dogma and get back to the truth that lets even us walk on water, just like Peter did, even if only for a moment.

working