People say that money is the second God. Do you believe it?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Traffic Creator profile image61
    Traffic Creatorposted 12 years ago

People say that money is the second God. Do you believe it?

why or why not?

2. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 12 years ago

Great question.

I'd argue that money is the first god in a capitalist society. Just look at all the people professing to be Christians whose thirst for money and power completely sublimate their Christian values or worse, cause them to reconstruct their Christianity to accomodate their quest for wealth.

I'm probably being unfair singling out Christianity because it happens with most religions.

Remember what the Bible says about a rich man and the eye of the needle.

3. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 12 years ago

I guess it is the first God ;-) ....

Ok. There is a saying .."Money cannot buy you everything, but almost everything ....". It pretty much sums up it. Though there is a negative connotation associate with it, Money is the necessary evil as they say.

4. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

people also said for years if you sailed too far you would fall off. they were about to burn someone who said the earth wasn't the center of the universe. the masses are not the brightest bulbs on the tree sometimes. money is a thing. finances is one of the 7 areas of life, and thus mathmatically, is not going to be a high value for most of us-it is at the bottom of my "hierarchy of values", what is most important, to what is least important. i did learn to make money by anchoring it to what is important-my family. as a single person, i do not care what car i drive, house i live, clothes i wear, as a married husband and dad, i seriously care about what cars, houses, and clothes my girls have.

the persons who expressing money greed, will make the others who repress that emotion upset until they do something about it. the items we do not like in others, are simply the items we have not loved in ourselves. finding the form of creation of our lives is a fun key to learn. what is funny? the thoughts everyone thinks and the life everyone lives is a direct result of themselves and their own hierarchy of values. you created this life, and are willing to endure the pain you go through to maintain your value system.

the "rich man and the eye of the needle" is/was a reference to a person who was rich and prosperous and thus perhaps had physical prosperity, in the form of a belly, may not physically fit through the place called the "eye of the needle". an entrance to a town that was thin. if your horse was also carrying lots of items you would not sqeeze through. funny how misunderstood that scripture is.

if money was imprtant to you, you would have it. those who do, bring out your values of spirituality, or family, or friends, whatever your values are. what your are emotionally "charged" about, you will continue to bring about so you can grow to your next level. it is life.
    Dr. Mike

5. profile image48
    rijstewaterposted 12 years ago

The great protestant reformer Martin Luther once said that what you care about the most is your god. It's obvious many people in our societies care about nothing as much as they care about money. We can only hope money is the second god, for I fear it is the first.

6. profile image49
    Anna1011posted 12 years ago

It all depends on who you're talking about. Yes, money can buy most things, but the one thing it can't buy is happiness. Money can only satisfy you for so long, but humans are greedy and naturally after a certain amount of time, money wont be able to keep you happy anymore. In my eyes, money is not a god, but it is a demon.

7. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

People say that money is the second God. Do you believe it? Well, I guess one would have to first believe in a god existence and then be able to compare money to it. This would go to show how much people lack any true understanding of money to begin with. Money isn't a god. Money isn't to be worshiped in any manner, to do so, brings about greed.

Money is just a tool that seems to be completely misunderstood to begin with. I've already written a hub on "Money" itself. The hub contains a logical and rational explanation about the "True" Power of Money. It touches on Greed, Love, Control, Power and Respect, which needs to be recognized, before one can understand it.

8. Darrell Roberts profile image73
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

I do not think that money is the second God.  I think that sexual desire is the second God for adults.  money is just the means.  Good sex is the goal.  This is what I see in our society.

Best Wishes.

9. Globetrekkermel profile image64
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

money? second God? That definitely leads  to ultimate ruin! We see enough evidence of that and we don't even have to look very far. nah!!!! I DON'T BELIEVE MONEY IS SECOND GOD. I WILL STAY AWAY FROM IT AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.

10. Deborah Minter profile image90
    Deborah Minterposted 6 years ago

Definitely not. Money is the currency everyone needs these days..... But that doesn't make it a second God.

11. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 6 years ago

Actions by themselves have no power. What matters in action is a live vibrant awareness of the power of God.

Men have been known to be devout and virtuous, yet they have had to do their duty and fight. The Supreme is within and always knows our thoughts and feelings. With a knife I can peel fruits or I can stab someone.

The power is always given by us, whether it is with money, guns or anything else. All motives begin from the inner worlds in seed form. So, for example, I can become a slave to 500 dollars and I can also utilise 50 million for the benefit of others.

Purity of Intentions; Sincerity of Purpose, is the key. Continue to remember that there is an omnipresent inner Pilot, always on the alert and knows your Heart.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)