jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Do we need a belief in God to be good, moral, kind and law-abiding human beings?

1. Impostora profile image76
    Impostoraposted 6 years ago

Do we need a belief in God to be good, moral, kind and law-abiding human beings?

2. xkamronx profile image60
    xkamronxposted 6 years ago

Nope. You should be those things because it's right by other people, not because some 'supreme' being says we should.

I know a lot of atheists, and they're all, for the most part, good people.

3. profile image0
    AntonOfTheNorthposted 6 years ago

Agree with xkamronx.  I know many people who don't believe in god who are good, moral, kind, and law-abiding.

I know many people who believe in god who are none of those things, but believe they are.

And if you like stats, prison populations have many more of those who profess a religion than those who do not.

Belief in a diety does not make you good.  Your behaviour makes you good.

cheers

4. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

No you don't need a belief in god to be any of these things. As a matter of decency we should treat other people as we would like to be treated.

5. Vinaya Ghimire profile image89
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 6 years ago

I can't say but I think if Mother Teresa was not a religious person, she would not have been able to display her compassion.

1. Guitar Wizard profile image87
      Guitar Wizardposted 5 years agoin reply to this

MT thought suffering would bring people closer to Jesus . In Homes for the Dying, you "hear screams of people having maggots tweezed from their open wounds MT: 'The most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ"

6. Impostora profile image76
    Impostoraposted 6 years ago

I agree with you Vinaya- Her faith did perhaps make her more compassionate, for some people find strength in their faith. Thanks for your answer. smile

7. Guitar Wizard profile image87
    Guitar Wizardposted 5 years ago

No. You should do that on your own. Don't use god as a crutch.

1. Darrell Roberts profile image72
      Darrell Robertsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Religions that believe in reincarnation cannot use God as a crutch. You did it you pay that is the law of Karma.

8. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 4 years ago

You do not need to believe in God to be a person in the mode of goodness.  What you do as well as your intentions determine if you are a good person or not.  Some scriptures are more strict that others so the qualifications as to what "good" is does vary.  However, most scriptures advise that you reap what you sow, or their is a law of "karma". 

Best wishes.

working