jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does good and evil exist in nature, and if so how?

1. noxadari profile image62
    noxadariposted 6 years ago

Does good and evil exist in nature, and if so how?

2. leroy64 profile image84
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

I think that depends on how one views the world.  I personally think that good and evil are only present in humans and angels.  Nature only does what nature does irregardless of our actions, and Nature is incapable of distinguishing between the two.

3. ibbarkingmad profile image84
    ibbarkingmadposted 6 years ago

No evil does not exist in nature. Animals and plants fill the measure of their creation and that is "good"  but it is a good of function, not of choice. Good and evil are things that exist within humanity. It is not good or evil when a cat kills a mouse or a shark eats a seal. It is evil when a person kills out of rage or for gain. It is good when someone who is stronger helps someone who is weaker. There are things that we as humans see and do not like in nature and so call evil, but this is based off of prospective, not because a snake chooses to have poison as a defensive mechanism. Humans are the only creatures that can rebel against God's will and plan knowingly and willfully. This makes our obedience all the more powerful and wonderful.

4. iviskei profile image74
    iviskeiposted 6 years ago

I think good and evil are all based on perspective. An antelope might think the lion is evil, but the lion thinks it's good by providing meat for its group. It's really no different for humans either.

5. rwelton profile image71
    rweltonposted 6 years ago

I have to concur - evil is mostly a human trait that may not exist in nature..because it requires intent.  Think of species examples  that harm and kill for sport vs. survival or protection.  Evil would be present in that situation.
    rlw

6. edhan profile image62
    edhanposted 6 years ago

We are born innocent as babies. It is good in nature.

But we are exposed to different environmental conditions as we grow up. Depending on the surrounding environment that will lead to be good or turning the evil side. It is what we see and tend to follow the same suit.

When we see many good things, then we will be doing lots of good stuffs. Only when we encounter evil things then it will be up of our hearts to decide right from wrong. It is our upbringing that will be put to a test. For those who have been doing good and having positive thinking, it will likely not affected by the evil we see.

Between good and evil, it is what we decide.

7. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

No evil doesn't exist in nature. Some of the things that go on in nature might be distressing for us, but that is the way nature keeps the balance of the life cycles on the planet. From every 'unpalatable' thing that might happen in nature, something very positive always come out of it - this is not evil or good, just life. Only humans, unfortunately, are capable of evil.

8. Alastar Packer profile image85
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

OK, I'll play the Devil's advocate. The definition of nature is the inherent character in a person or thing. It is also of course the creating force of all essence. With this in mind if we take some time and look very closely at the nature all around us one thing should become appearant rather quickly. In every action there is always some kind of opposite reaction or counter-part. So, since there is great good in nature under the definitions- like the actions of humans occasionally for example- there must also be great evil. How does it exist in nature? That is a question for the ages.

9. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 6 years ago

I believe that good and evil are human abstractions, which means that they exist in our nature, but not in nature itself.

working